Latest Post

14 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: 2E245

view post

Portrait Girl

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Portrait Girl posted by Nieton21 November 10, 2008 02:59AM reply | quote
posted by Nieton21
I took this yesterday evening - the light was decent from a large window that I reflected into my girlfriends face. Taken with a Lensbaby 2.0.

Any critiques and opinions are welcomed!

Nick Nieto
Portland, OR
Re: Portrait Girl posted by BearWoodsDavid November 10, 2008 07:10AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I like the detail in her face, and the sweet spot is perfect.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Portrait Girl posted by RichB November 10, 2008 08:50AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Nick,

I find it interesting that you have placed the sweet spot on her hair on her forehead -- it works well for me.

Rich
Re: Portrait Girl posted by ranfoto November 10, 2008 05:30PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

It's a very interesting view, not flattering to the planes of her face, but more a work of thought ......as far as critique ......depends on what you were feeling and wanted to say ........!

It's all so subjective anyway .
Re: Portrait Girl posted by Nieton21 November 12, 2008 04:22AM reply | quote
posted by Nieton21
@Ranfoto

how would you change it to make it more flattering?
Re: Portrait Girl posted by ranfoto November 12, 2008 05:33PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Nick: For a classic female portrait .

1. Put your LB 2.0 aperture at about F4 or just enough focus to keep her eyes sharp and the plane of her face in focus, letting the depth of field fall off so the background is very soft.

2. Get your main light or light source above her head at about 45 degrees, watch the cast shadow from her nose, see if you can get it to cast a butterfly underneath or just to the side .

Use a reflector, white sheet, white cardboard, or something reflective to bounce some light back into the shadow areas, this will make her skin glow if your exposures is right on .

3. Do not shoot the plane of her face head on, it's not as flattering.....that is the face looks too broad, turn her head to about 2/3 view so the tip of the nose is still in the plane of her face, this narrows the face and looks sweeter .

4. Get your camera angle up slightly higher then eye level, you don't want to be too low or looking up towards her face .

5. Have your subject (female) tilt her head toward the shoulder, which should be at an angle towards the camera .

You most likely never want to have her shoulders square to the camera ........everyone likes to look good in their portrait, so with good posing and lighting your subject will look better. Look for personality, she doesn't even have to smile ......keep telling her to move this way or that and that she looks great or whatever it takes to get some rapport going between you . Tell her that she is doing a great job......keep talking and soon you will see her beauty come out and sparkle !

6. Click on my LB gallery and look at some of my images of women ......the ones that look like beauties anyway ....Hee .

7. Study and good Bending :))

My way is not the only way, but it works pretty well that I made a living from it .

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today