Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 hours ago by rusteer

Re: side light to flare

view post

Vertical or Horizontal

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Vertical or Horizontal posted by Gear_Jammer_Hank October 30, 2008 10:51PM reply | quote
posted by Gear_Jammer_Hank

Hey Guys,
I recently got the chance to get out to my father's grave site and had my camera in the car so I decided to take a few shots. I like both pictures but I am pulled between which comp is better. I also think I could have used a larger aperture to get more blur which might have given them more umph. These were taken at f5.6. What do you think?

Thanks,
Hank

I would rather be Hated for something I am then Loved for something I'm not.
Re: Vertical or Horizontal posted by mgomespt October 31, 2008 12:28AM reply | quote
posted by mgomespt

To me, rather than the composition/angle you chose for the shot is the subject, I've got mixed feelings about it...when you're sweet spotting your deceased father's grave, I feel like you're emphasizing the fact that he's dead and providing it blatantly on the frame, I would choose provinding "hints" of the grave and focusing on for example the bouquet...this would have a totally different meaning, one of longing for your dear father, one of grief...and the dreamy aura provided by the lensbaby would help transmiting this feeling.

In here is like "pow! He's dead!", do you get what I'm trying to tell you?

Anyway...since photography, like any art is quite subjective, so are the different interpretations by whoever sees it, don't take my word on it as final, just reanalyse it and see if you agree with my point of view.

Miguel
Re: Vertical or Horizontal posted by mgomespt October 31, 2008 12:35AM reply | quote
posted by mgomespt

more subjectiveness: I'd choose to increase the shutter speed by 2/3 of a stop on the first angled/obliquous shot, and, as in I interpret the subject of your picture as "your father's death" instead of the "family longing for mr. Black Jr", any more dramatic effect caused by a larger aperture would put me into tears :)

Miguel
Re: Vertical or Horizontal posted by igorsv October 31, 2008 03:48AM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

I kinda agree with Miguel. Focusing on the flowers would've created a different meaning: "He is remembered". And I would do it for the horizontal image.

Igor.
Re: Vertical or Horizontal posted by mgomespt October 31, 2008 04:16AM reply | quote
posted by mgomespt

Mr. Svibilsky, I'm honored that someone who is as visually literate as you agrees with my critic view on this photo, would you please apply your criticism on my mount rainier choice of images at my post
Re: Vertical or Horizontal posted by Gear_Jammer_Hank November 02, 2008 01:11AM reply | quote
posted by Gear_Jammer_Hank

I agree with you both however focusing of the flower woud have protrayed a meaning of "Missing Him" and I don't. Miguel, your reaction was right, "He's Dead". His "Death" was the subject not the "Memory". I was shooting for an artistic shot of the "Grave", not trying to portray a feeling that is not there. (It's a long story) Your idea is awesome though and will be referenced in the future. Thank you for your time and input.

This Forum Rocks,
Hank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 01:11AM by Gear_Jammer_Hank.
Re: Vertical or Horizontal posted by Keithnc November 02, 2008 09:37PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

I would go with the second one. I think your shot portrays what you are trying to show - death. The angled doesn't do it for me plus the front part of the gravel area is bright and distracting.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today