Latest Post

17 minutes ago by ranfoto

Re: Playing in the rain

view post

the ring

Newer Topic | Older Topic

the ring posted by Va girl October 26, 2008 10:09PM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

My daughter's friend came by yesterday to show us her engagement ring.... Just happened to have the 3G with me....would love to have your suggestions for improvement and also cropping ideas if needed.... thanks in advance.

(This was designed locally and I thought they would like one of these images.)

Pam
Re: the ring posted by Fugazi October 27, 2008 02:11AM reply | quote
posted by Fugazi

I'm no expert ... sure ... but you did ask for opinions ... ;-)
Serious, like the shots ... but I would place the ring a bit more 'off-centre' ... certainly for the first picture.

I'm sure they liked the pictures ...
Re: the ring posted by ranfoto October 27, 2008 04:45AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Pam .....cropping time on number one.....too much hand for a great composition . I feel it's either all the hand, with Bent fingers or super soft macro on the ring .

The other images have too many distracting fingers and nails for my subtle tastes on such subjects .

Ring shots are very hard to capture in an artistic manner, I feel less is the best ....unless the hands add to the story, are very lovely or you have both the groom and the brides hands together with the grooms hand as prop ......it's all about great composition .

Well that's my opinion anyway, it's not the only way as new ideas spring up all the time :)
Re: the ring posted by Va girl October 27, 2008 11:02AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

Thanks Fugazi and Randy... perhaps this will work better.... I could have cropped even more if the sweet spot was sweeter....there is always next time!

Pam
Re: the ring posted by lokki October 27, 2008 02:25PM reply | quote
posted by lokki
I think the 2nd attempt at the first pic is getting closer, but it's a little *too* tight, now... the shadow has enough density to add to the shot, so consider giving the ring a little more space, with the 'weight' in in the lower left mounting pin. Place that point at the lower right third of the image, and crop again. Leave just enough space around it to let the eye wander just a bit. Also consider changing the aspect ratio just a touch so it's a little more square (but not much).

The other shots could benefit from some vignetting to draw focus more onto the stone and detail on the band.

I do like the intent behind the shots, and the exposures are pretty darn good.
Re: the ring posted by Fugazi October 27, 2008 03:11PM reply | quote
posted by Fugazi

Indeed, (for me) it works much better ...
Re: the ring posted by Va girl October 28, 2008 08:34AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

Thanks for the suggestions lokki.... I'll give it a try shortly... thanks again Fugazi!
Re: the ring posted by Va girl October 28, 2008 01:24PM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

with suggested changes.... thanks for all the suggestions!

Pam
Re: the ring posted by halesr November 02, 2008 10:46PM reply | quote
posted by halesr

Second attempt at first image works better for me. The other two are nice, but more about showing the ring. The first get more at the meaning of the ring.--Rene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 10:46PM by halesr.
Re: the ring posted by Fugazi November 04, 2008 12:33AM reply | quote
posted by Fugazi

I like very much the last #2 here ...

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today