view post

wicked games

Newer Topic | Older Topic

wicked games posted by hashmap September 24, 2008 03:40PM reply | quote
posted by hashmap
LB 2.0, f/2.8
Re: wicked games posted by pro bono September 24, 2008 09:51PM reply | quote
posted by pro bono

Wicked? I don't know about that ... looks like fun to me.

I'm not much of a 'critiquer'. I don't like to say "do this ... don't do that...crop this" because who am I to decide what should happen inside your head? I don't know what you were thinking at the time (well in this case maybe I do, but that's not my business either). A photograph you've made is what it is. If I tell you how I'd have done it then it's not yours any more.

So I hope you won't mind if my critique is limited to saying how your photograph made me feel, and we'll leave all that "crop this, do that" stuff to the folks who think it's important.

The photograph first made me laugh, because it's funny and original. The selective focus hid the identity, and to a large extent hid the implied personality, of the woman from me. So of course I wondered what she looked like. Was there a tiny smile, or a tiny grimace? Were her eyes shut, or open? Had she been crying or laughing? And of course the photograph is all the better for not providing clear answers to any of those questions!

That's what I like most about photographs; what makes them interesting for me ... when all the answers are not there. When you leave some thinking for me to do. When the meaning is uncertain or ambiguous. If all that happens, I think it's a successful image. And this is. Thanks for posting it.
Re: wicked games posted by sam September 25, 2008 06:10AM reply | quote
posted by sam

To me this image seems filled with tension, for many of the reasons cited by pro bono. I like how you use the selective focus in a very strong way for a very strong outcome. It seems quite effective to me, and interesting.

Sam

see with the eyes of a child
Re: wicked games posted by ranfoto September 25, 2008 08:49AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

I feel like what we would like here instead of do this or do that is comments like why we connected with the making the image or possibly why we did not .

Very wicked indeed.......a bit of red nail polish and _______* could be advertising to those wicked girls...hee !

* your company name here !
Re: wicked games posted by hashmap September 25, 2008 03:16PM reply | quote
posted by hashmap
Thanks guys, I really appreciate you suggestions. I'm very surprised by level of understanding of photo and art here, in this forum. There are no comments like "pretty girl, nice work" .. very rare situation. It's very comfortable for me and I will keep posting here if you won't mind.

I agree with pro bono - for me good photo is not about composition, focus and right exposure, it's more about mystery, story behind the picture, how it works in head of viewer, what associations it raise. It might be even very different from point of view of author, but it doesn't matter.
Re: wicked games posted by Sergej September 25, 2008 04:07PM reply | quote
posted by Sergej

I am playing the devil's advocate here, but if it is not about 'composition, focus and right exposure', then why did you crop it, focus on the hands, and post-process the image?

I second the comments about tension and mystery, and like the idea behind the image. However, the LB effect on the left shoulder / arm almost makes it look like it is separate from the body of the subject...distracts me.
Re: wicked games posted by hashmap September 25, 2008 04:19PM reply | quote
posted by hashmap
sure, 'composition, focus and right exposure' are important, but it's just tool, it's not a goal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 04:20PM by hashmap.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today