Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by Fastback67

Re: New Guy Checking In

view post

Portraits // test // 3G

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Portraits // test // 3G posted by Stanislav September 24, 2008 02:26AM reply | quote
posted by Stanislav
taken with canon 20D, Lensbaby 3G
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by oliver tudoras September 24, 2008 04:27AM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

good eye contact....great sweet spot....very good portrait work

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by ranfoto September 24, 2008 04:46AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Better portrait work: 2/3 view of the face, less tilt of the head or study feminine vs masculine body language in posing.

I don't care too much for poses with the hands competing with the face. I say that based on doing this for a living and what clients bought .

Sometimes though you have to try poses and see if they work for you, all rules can be broken, just depends on the subject you're trying to capture .

I feel great portraiture is about expression, personality, and lighting .....everything else is subjective .

If you want to make money doing this, then it's all about making the subject look good, if it's about aRt and you pay the model then it's all about the viewers reaction to the work .

Besides ask any number of critics and you'll get totally opposite views :)))
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by BearWoodsDavid September 24, 2008 10:34AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Oh my...I agree with Ran on something. I love the portrait itself but I look at the negative space and how it will effect the image. The eye will naturally go to bright objects (the background) and I worry how much of a distraction it is from the beautiful model.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by Sergej September 24, 2008 03:39PM reply | quote
posted by Sergej

I like the second one - very captivating eyes and somewhat mysterious smile. One thing too watch out for - Ran kind of said it - is the hands. If you capture the face like this and hands are in the image without the rest of the upper body, the hands can look awkward in the image.
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by pro bono September 24, 2008 10:21PM reply | quote
posted by pro bono

I don't mind the hands. They're unsettling it's true, with a weird disembodied feel, but that's fine by me ... a bit of disorientation is a good thing in art isn't it? Of course I may be a poor judge because I also like blown highlights, camera movement and confrontational compositions. And I hate the bloody leaden Rule of Thirds. Thus mine would usually be the totally opposite view that Ran refers to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 10:23PM by pro bono.
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by acsphoto September 25, 2008 01:03AM reply | quote
posted by acsphoto

same set up I have minus the 3G part....2.0 LB

great shots...watch your cropping a little bit with the tops of the head

Amanda Stevens

[www.FireTheCanon.com]
[www.Flickr.com]
[www.Twitter.com]
[www.FaceBook.com]
FireTheCanon@Me.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 01:04AM by acsphoto.
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by ranfoto September 25, 2008 09:25AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

A clarification on PB's statement And I hate the bloody leaden Rule of Thirds. Thus mine would usually be the totally opposite view

The 2/3 view of the face has nothing to do with the rule of thirds we hear so much about in composition discussions.

The 2/3 view is when there is just a tiny amount of skin left near the eye and the face is turned so only a narrow view of the face is seen.

If you want people to love their portrait images and BUY THEM, being the key word here .....then you better shoot the 2/3 view with a natural expression captured.

If one is just an artist and it doesn't matter about pleasing anyone .....then forget the suggestion about pleasing views ......My objective in the portrait business was always to create images that had my clients looking their best and in turn they paid me for the effort .

My opinions reflect a narrow viewpoint of how I make Portraits and the reasons for it .

99% of Bending is mostly for the shear pleasure of creating, so we Bend-it our way without any rules or whatevers !

Amen to no rules...hee !
Re: Portraits // test // 3G posted by pro bono September 25, 2008 09:37PM reply | quote
posted by pro bono

I never imagined anyone might connect my confession about loathing the Rule of Thirds with Ran's advice about 2/3 view of the face. I sure didn't. There is no connection.

I was of course talking about the exalted Rule of Thirds in compositional terms. I don't really object to anyone observing it (all those Old Masters can't be wrong), although I do try to avoid it myself, just because I like being a contrary bastard.

I don't think I can teach anyone anything about how to be a better photographer. I love photographs, but I have very limited interest in photography, and even less in photographers. I'm not even a photographer myself ... perhaps I'm an anti-photographer? I certainly prefer anti-photographs. But I can't teach anyone how to make those either, fortunately.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today