Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

8 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Please critique and tips so I can learn more

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by hennieclarijs March 20, 2013 04:03AM reply | quote
posted by hennieclarijs
Please give me a response on this image. I used a shutter speed of 1/1 sec.
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by beyond_Life May 12, 2013 03:45PM reply | quote
posted by beyond_Life
And Im getting the idea that the light mostly came from the left and right, not hitting the center of the flower. Try turning the flower towards the light, making sure you are not making a shadow. And if you are in a low light condition, maybe a off camera flash to lighten the flower. And I would (but thats just me) remove the leaf thats in the middle. Its distraction for the whole composition I think. Did you crop the image? Im getting the idea there is missing something at the top. What apurture did you use? I would go for a small one, maybe even the smallest, to blur out all the leafs. And focus on the center. But thats just my opinion.

And I just found some pictures of you, long live google. But damm you make some nice flower pictures :-) Why do you want responses on this particular image?

Try www.wiggersrobert.nl. It's so much fun!
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by hennieclarijs May 12, 2013 04:54PM reply | quote
posted by hennieclarijs
Thanks for your comment. I never crop images and I did use a macro flashlight. Also I almost use always aperture 2.0 because I love a soft look.
This one I made standing on the table and using a Gorillapod.
That's why I wanted some critique because I never used a macro light and Gorillapod before and certainly no shutter speed of 1/1 sec. I mostly shoot without tripod or light.
I looked at your page and it's beautiful.
Thanks you so much for your response and taking the trouble to look for more of my work.

Greetings
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by beyond_Life May 12, 2013 04:58PM reply | quote
posted by beyond_Life
So what happend with the macro light, that the center is less bright then the outside? Or is that just me?
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by hennieclarijs May 12, 2013 07:10PM reply | quote
posted by hennieclarijs
It's a macro ring with 24 led lights in a circle
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by Mike Bokeh May 29, 2013 01:47AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

I think your photo is fine, and is one of the sharpest I've seen taken at f2.0.

One piece of advice I can offer, is to experiment using a tripod. They are indispensable for getting consistent results.

Take a photo at f2.0, and then try the other aperture rings to see if a different aperture gives you the look you want. For a long time I used my Lensbaby 3-G almost exclusively at f4.0; now I'm discovering that I like f5.6 or f8.0 for some shots, and f2.8 for others.

I too looked you up on google; you have a very nice portfolio.

Mike

Lensbabies make you think.
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by hennieclarijs May 29, 2013 04:49AM reply | quote
posted by hennieclarijs
Thank you Mike for your advise. In this case I did use a Gorillapod because I took it inside. When I shoot outside I mostly don't use a mono or tripod.

I use f/2.0 because I love a very soft background. But I read in the book of Corey Hilz that he mostly use f/4.0. I'm trying out the other focus rings now.

I found out that some people have problems if the photo isn't very sharp. Today I posted a shot on 500px taken with the plastic optic and some people love the effect but I know there are persons who doesn't feel comfortable with it.

What I love most on a Lensbaby is all the different optics and lenses you can use. Yesterday I tried de tele lens and the super wide angle lens and found out it's very difficult to get a good result. Last week I used the pinhole/zoneplate in my garden and I got a lot of positive but also negative reactions on my FB page.

I keep trying and I can say that instead of my 105mm macro lens the Lensbaby became my standard lens and indeed it makes you think time after time.

Thanks for your comment.
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by hennieclarijs May 29, 2013 04:53AM reply | quote
posted by hennieclarijs
This time I used the plastic optic for an extra soft photo and instead of the macro converters I used the macro filters 4 and 10 mm.The flower is from the Kalanchoƫ plant.

Lensbaby, plastic optic, macro filters 4+10 mm
Focal Length 50mm
Shutter Speed 1/100 sec
Aperture f/2
ISO/Film 100
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by Mike Bokeh May 31, 2013 03:39AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Very nice, Hennieclarijs.

Mike

Lensbabies make you think.
Re: Please critique and tips so I can learn more posted by hennieclarijs May 31, 2013 05:33PM reply | quote
posted by hennieclarijs
Thank you so much for your compliment Mike, enjoy your weekend.

This one I took with the double glass optic, macro converters and de wide angle lens.
ISO100, f/2.0, 1/250 sec

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today