Latest Post

15 hours ago by Josh-LB

Re: Macro

view post

Land Below the Wind

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Land Below the Wind posted by Bazalf August 17, 2012 12:51AM reply | quote
posted by Bazalf
Few pictures that I fancy on my trip back to Sabah, Land below the wind.

The first picture was the site of Mt Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in South East Asia.

The second and third are sunset at Tanjung Aru.

Just wondering, is the 'lens baby effect' missing in the sunsets?
Re: Land Below the Wind posted by gardencat August 17, 2012 02:18AM reply | quote
posted by gardencat

Nice shots.
The Lensbaby effect is visible at the edges of the sunset pictures. I'm guessing that you used one of the smaller aperture discs for those pictures. I've been noticing myself that the smaller the aperture hole, the bigger the 'sweet spot' of focus is, and the less Lensbaby blur you have in the photo.
Re: Land Below the Wind posted by Bazalf August 17, 2012 11:54PM reply | quote
posted by Bazalf
I use 5.6.
Body is canon 500D.

Just wondering, if I were to use a bigger aperture (i.e. smaller sweet spot), where should the spot be placed for the two sunset pictures? The Sun?
Re: Land Below the Wind posted by Outback August 18, 2012 01:24AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Bazalf
Just wondering, if I were to use a bigger aperture (i.e. smaller sweet spot), where should the spot be placed for the two sunset pictures? The Sun?

That depends on you as the creative artist. Personnaly, if I were composing the second sunset shot, I'd drop the entire frame and adjust the sweetspot to accentuate the furniture group. You have the freedom with your digital camera to compose and recompose at will.

BTW I like the image of the flower. Very nice work.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: Land Below the Wind posted by Bazalf August 18, 2012 01:44PM reply | quote
posted by Bazalf
Thank you outback.

The 'problem' with lens baby is that it takes me a longer time to get everything in focus. And when the others are rushing me, I don't really get all the time needed to compose and recompose always. :(

Here are another two pictures of orchids that I took.
The second picture has wire netting behind it actually. But the blurriness made it disappear. I quite like it.
Re: Land Below the Wind posted by Samurai Photographer August 20, 2012 12:24AM reply | quote
I like the first sunset shot. The island is placed perfectly. On the second sunset shot, I would have chosen a different vantage point and put the island on the left side of the frame and the table and chairs on the right side of the frame. I also would have included a little bit of foreground so you could see the bottom of the table and chairs. I also would have placed the Sweet Spot of Focus over the table and chairs. Remember that you don't have to place your subject in the middle of the frame. You'll get a more interesting composition if the subject is to the left or right of center.

Doug Sahlin
Author of Mastering the Lensbaby: A step-by-step guide to mastering the Lensbaby and becoming a more creative photographer.The book is available at the Amazon Kindle store. to find out more about the book or to download a sample chapter, click here: [amzn.to]
Re: Land Below the Wind posted by Bazalf August 21, 2012 10:56AM reply | quote
posted by Bazalf
Thank you for the suggestion.

I am still struggling to put the sweet spot at other part of the frame. It is especially difficult especially when I want my sweet spot to be on a particular spot, and getting it in focus. And it becomes even tougher if the subject does not have enough lighting: it becomes very difficult to judge whether is my image in focus or not.

Any tips for me?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today