Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

9 hours ago by strelar

The Scream

view post

My First Time Using the Lensbaby Muse with Plastic Optic

Newer Topic | Older Topic

My First Time Using the Lensbaby Muse with Plastic Optic posted by cameronehmig January 18, 2012 06:40AM reply | quote
posted by cameronehmig

I took out my Lensbaby Muse for the first time, and started making photographs in the maze of trees and plants next to my house. These photographs are the result of that.
It is difficult to focus with the Lensbaby Muse, however, I find it not a priority to focus perfectly. I love manually focusing, and usually do that with my other lenses, so the Lensbaby seems to be a good fit.
What I want is just a little criticism on my work. I would like to know basically how I can be more creative with the Muse, and what other wisdom you could give me. Much appreciated!
-Cameron
(for more of my photographs: [www.flickr.com])

-Cameron Ehmig
Re: My First Time Using the Lensbaby Muse with Plastic Optic posted by Crabcakes January 20, 2012 08:39AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

I agree that when you start using a LB, focus takes a back seat to all the other wonderful qualities of these lenses--especially with the plastic optic. There is so much you can do when you stop thinking of focus as too important.

As to criticism (and I am certainly no expert) I would say that #1 is spot-on. Love the soft blend of blur from bottom to top. The sweet-spot is well-placed. #2 it seems to me can't decide if it wants to be in focus or not...if one forgoes focus, it's important to understand why (does that make sense?). #3 could perhaps be framed a little better. A vertical crop/frame that doesn't cut off the top of that stem/plant might work a little better. Composition-wise it just seems to have a hard time holding together for me. I do like the colors--the bright red of the maple leaves, the green of the grass, the blue of the water and the dull grey/green of the dead leaves balance each other very well.

Hope this helps and please keep in mind that I am (mildly) color-blind and working hard on the subtleties of composition right now myself. I find it to be one of the toughest aspects of photography.

Take care--

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: My First Time Using the Lensbaby Muse with Plastic Optic posted by cameronehmig January 21, 2012 04:51AM reply | quote
posted by cameronehmig

I totally agree. My composition and focusing definitely need some work and practice, especially when I bring this lens to do street photography and candids.
Thank you so much for your thoughts,
Cam.

-Cameron Ehmig

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today