Latest Post

8 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Lensbaby LM-10 now available

view post

SFO Question

Newer Topic | Older Topic

SFO Question posted by Outback August 20, 2011 02:41PM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Could someone who is familiar with the Soft Focus Optic characteristics please give me an idea of what is going on in this photo?

I get this chromatic abberation from time to time when using the SFO and haven't been able to figure out what is causing it. I am pretty sure it is not due to camera shake. Exif data indicates that this photo was shot at 1/320th of a second. I've considered that it may be part of the characteristics of this particular optic but there are times when it doesn't appear in the least.

For the record I was using the #2 SFO multi-hole aperture on this shot.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

John

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: SFO Question posted by TG-J (Admin) August 20, 2011 02:45PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

This is OOF halation introduced by the smaller holes around the main aperture. I think. tony
Re: SFO Question posted by Koen August 21, 2011 10:24PM reply | quote
posted by Koen

It's a typical characteristic of soft focus lenses. Every point of light going through the lens is blurred out by the optic (hence the name ;-) ).
The effect is especially visible at points where there is high contrast as you see in your photo.

You will also see this effect in some zone plate and plastic optic photo's (and probably other optics).

I hope this was helpful

Koen
Re: SFO Question posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) August 22, 2011 07:15AM reply | quote
TG and Koen have the right idea - if you want to reduce the halation just switch to a smaller "regular" aperture (my favorite is the f/4) - the optic will still add a dreamy softness but the highlights will be a little less halated.

Experiment and let us know how it goes!
Best,
Michael
Re: SFO Question posted by Outback August 22, 2011 09:21AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the various replies. I've learned something that will assist me in producing better results with a lens I really like.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today