Latest Post

7 hours ago by TG-J

Re: 63 Split Window Corvette

view post

I'm Conflicted

Newer Topic | Older Topic

I'm Conflicted posted by Outback June 21, 2011 03:07PM reply | quote
posted by Outback

The Creative Apertures tend to overwhelm some of my shots. I haven't been able to understand exactly why that is so I tend to take a large number of exposures hoping for a good shot. Don't get me wrong on this, I really like what they do. I am just trying to figure out how to get consistanly reproducable results. For some reason they seem to pick up light sources that my eye does not see when looking through the lens. Then, to compound matters, I often either don't see them in my camera Liveview screen or they look acceptable. Most times I am encouraged by what I see in the field. But when I get home and put them on the monitor it is often a different story. Has anyone else experienced this issue with these apertures? If so, how did you get past it?

I am enclosing a few of the good shots for critique and if this thread develops I'll post some of the poorer for discussion.

As always, thanks for your feedback!

John

#1 Creative Aperture with sublte definition
#2 CA with intentional definition
#3-5 Non-CA shots. Comments welcomed.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: I'm Conflicted posted by hp June 21, 2011 03:57PM reply | quote
posted by hp

I think the "problem" you experience is part of the charm, every out of focus light source will take on the CA shape. The unpredictability i think makes taking pictures more interesting. Indeed you will end up with a lot of pictures that don't work, but occasionaly you get a few that do, and when they work they work well as you showed with you pictures, they are realy nice!

I think to get more that do work, Make sure your subject is exactly in focus, and make sure that whatever you want to be in the shape of your CA is out of focus and brighter then the subject, like you show in your sunset pictures. Also you can try to have everything, including your subject) out of focus, i tried it at Eiffel tower at night (see my picture)it also works
Re: I'm Conflicted posted by Da Lowrider June 21, 2011 04:00PM reply | quote
posted by Da Lowrider

Well it seems to me the crux of the problem, any photography problem for that matter is to get RID of the Canon .. hahahahahha. (I'm TEASING you guys!!)

Art is subjective, what may seem to overwhelm you might be just right for me and verse vise. Each of us has our own criteria, our own measure of what we like or dislike. I shoot a zillion frames but like few of them in the end, still I save the others because next month or next year a new process will come along and they may be just the ticket. Or perhaps my thinking will be in a different place next time I review the frame and something may come of that.

I don't trust any image I see on the camera, using them only as a guide or indication the exposure/focus may be close. The truth is out there all right but it's not on a camera back. Want proof? Meter with your camera, then meter with a light meter.

I like your work John and I'm happy you claim not to be able to maintain "consistent" results. After all, life is like a box of chocolates, never knowing precisely what you're gonna get is half the fun .. isn't it.

I endeavor to NEVER be consistent. Not that hard really .. lol.
Re: I'm Conflicted posted by Superthor June 21, 2011 07:00PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
The whole idea with the creative aperture set,is to create artful effects,if you just want crystal clear photos,use another lens.
#2 is à very good CA shot,with very visible effect.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today