view post

soft body collection

Newer Topic | Older Topic

soft body collection posted by emco October 13, 2009 11:06PM reply | quote
posted by emco
pinhole & zone plate

rest
[narkolyki.blogspot.com]
Re: soft body collection posted by jonwaz October 15, 2009 05:10AM reply | quote
posted by jonwaz

very interesting set of images
i can see that you've been having some fun with your pinhole and zoneplate optics
you've created a dreamlike, mysterious mood in these images
#7, the horses head, is a fine composition, (i.e. the diagonals - neck/harness/head)
and #9...
well, quite bizarre...!
i haven't used the pinhole or the zone plate optics so i'm not familiar with the possibilities
but i hope to find the time in the not to distant future

a couple of questions now emco
what exposure time, aperture etc did you use?
and how much processing work (filters, saturation etc) have you done in photoshop...?

take care out there
jonwaz

--------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars
Oscar Wilde
Re: soft body collection posted by emco October 15, 2009 08:23AM reply | quote
posted by emco
jonwaz,
thank you for your opinion

1. as you know hole in this optic is unchangable
Pinhole f = 177 (the hole is very, very tiny)
Zone Plate f = 19 (relatively "wide")
in this case you should use tripod or iso=800 and higher (in sunny day).

I hadn't my tripod and day was very cloudly (before rain)
I took pictures "with hand" (iso=800) time was about (depend on type of optics) from 1/25 to 3.2'. but sharpness is not the essence of this pictures.
i fixed my attention on composition, subjects, objects, lines, silhouettes, moods, perspevtive, rhythm, lights etc.!!!not details!!!

2.color correction (cc):
in cameraraw v4.6 PS plugin (RAW file editor)

2a.big color transparent stains (red green etc) - i used ps brushes and gaussian blur

inspirations for cc: my old agfa optima and kodak cross-processed and polaroid (669 and polachrome) prints and keywords in flickr like "orwo", "polaroid", "lomo", "gum bichromate", "polachrome", "polaroid transffer", etc) or any old picture i can find in my family old photo-album, magazins, papers, ads, etc

3.grain is from high iso and prepare by myself on overlaid layer, individually for each image, this one which is generated by PS (called "noise") is too tiny, sharp, regular and repetitive - artificial and i don't recommend it
(i have huge darkroom experience in b&w prints and negative processing)

4. and finally overlaid textures are from texturez.com

my works:
[narkolyki.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 09:31PM by emco.
Re: soft body collection posted by juznobsrvr October 16, 2009 12:58AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

outstanding... top notch... thanks for the capture and processing info... have to try it

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: soft body collection posted by Bob Layne October 16, 2009 11:33AM reply | quote
posted by Bob Layne
I really like these. Well done.
Re: soft body collection posted by emco October 16, 2009 09:22PM reply | quote
posted by emco
... and forget about your SLR camera viewer or LiveView mode - pinhole is really tiny . capture in this conditions is real improvisation ;)
good luck
Re: soft body collection posted by jonwaz October 19, 2009 01:56AM reply | quote
posted by jonwaz

thanks for the info emco
and thanks for sharing...

take care out there
jonwaz

--------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars
Oscar Wilde
Re: soft body collection posted by emco October 24, 2011 07:48PM reply | quote
posted by emco
images came from my FB collections
Re: soft body collection posted by hebphoto October 25, 2011 07:24AM reply | quote
posted by hebphoto

Hi Emco ,
Great set of images love the textures #3 & #5
are my favourites .
Well done

Regards Malcolm
Re: soft body collection posted by waniek October 25, 2011 04:20PM reply | quote
posted by waniek

Very beautiful pics! My favs are #5 and #7. Thanks for sharing your technique!
Re: soft body collection posted by Digitalis October 27, 2011 11:06PM reply | quote
posted by Digitalis

I'm normally not such a pinhole/zone-plate fan, but I like most of the pictures above because they do not just look like out of focus pictures but really look like very old pictures, except for the colour offcourse but I love the colours too because of the dreamy atmosphere they create, these pictures almost look like paintings to me, 5 is my favourite.

Your pictures even make me think about trying out the pinhole/zone plate optic myself in the future and I was not very interested in this particular optic before ;)

***Painting with light is the sweetest delight***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 11:08PM by Digitalis.
Re: soft body collection posted by feelthequiet November 14, 2011 04:19AM reply | quote
posted by feelthequiet
Love the feeling of the photos. 3 and 5 are my favourite!
Re: soft body collection posted by klupit November 21, 2011 06:48PM reply | quote
posted by klupit

Good works. My favorite #2.
One question :
Is the grain in the pictures is natural?
Re: soft body collection posted by godfather December 12, 2011 10:59PM reply | quote
posted by godfather
nice photo thanks for sharing so i can make decision easily, i'm going to buy Pinhole optic.

Canon5D MarkII + Composer Pro
Re: soft body collection posted by Regivar December 13, 2011 04:35AM reply | quote
posted by Regivar

Great set, I love the colours and the mood.
#7 FAV.

... use your imagination...

[www.flickr.com]
Re: soft body collection posted by eleanorrigby236 February 04, 2012 01:40AM reply | quote
posted by eleanorrigby236

Hi, just wanted to let you know that your set here is very inspirational. I shoot film primarily and am experimenting with double exposing my images shot with a 50mm prime lens with the zone plate optic. Haven't developed the roll yet but I hope it turns out good.

Anyways, keep up the great work ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------
"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." ---Lewis Hine
[noraphotos.net]
Re: soft body collection posted by emco February 12, 2012 07:48PM reply | quote
posted by emco
i like your "1. In Passigng" and "2.Dreaming" series on your web site.
Re: soft body collection posted by Makus February 13, 2012 01:55AM reply | quote
posted by Makus

I don't know how, but i instantly recognized those pictures where taken in Poland :-) Great, great work. I love that dreamy look.
Re: soft body collection posted by Victoria Bell February 13, 2012 02:30AM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Painterly. Beautiful work!

My Flickr Photostream
Re: soft body collection posted by Pattymac June 09, 2012 02:11AM reply | quote
posted by Pattymac
LOVE THESE!!!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today