Lensbaby Studio Forums

I hate dummies for babies

Newer Topic | Older Topic

I hate dummies for babies posted by rannestad January 24, 2009 04:56AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Being a father for 14 days now I have had several issues to give up on. I have always hated dummies for babies. They look ugly, they are unnecessary and the children get addicted to them. Besides that they may have some effect on speech, teeth etc.

Yesterday we tried to give Priskilla the dummy. What a relief. She loved it. She really loves it, and it makes her relax. Whoah. I have to admit that I really have to work on my prejudice against dummies.

A new thought came into my head. A dummy to a baby is just like a camera to her father. The dummy is a stupid artificial plastic thing. The camera is basically the same. It's not grown in the field, not on trees. It is made of artificial components and doesn't have any particular useful feature. But most of all, it makes the owner of the camera relax.

"So, daddy, here is your camera. Now shut up."

(Canon 5D, composer with double glass and 0.6x converter, f2.0)

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 05:00AM by rannestad.
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by ToniMJ January 24, 2009 05:35AM reply | quote
posted by ToniMJ

Congratulations! It took me a minute to figure out what a "dummy" was, but they really are life savers. My oldest son sucked his finger (not his thumb, but his finger) and it took until he was in kindergarten to get over it. My youngest one we used a pacifier on and when we felt he was old enough we were able to throw it away. They really do work wonders. Congratulations, again. Nice shot, too. =)

[dailyvignette.com]
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by RichB January 24, 2009 06:47AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Bjorn,

I love your image as well as your story behind it. She will eventually outgrow the pacifier, but I doubt that you will outgrow the camera. :)

Rich
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by rannestad January 24, 2009 06:57AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

He he. I thought they were called dummies. Pacifier is a great word. That's what it is. Thank you Toni and Rich for your comments. I hope I will never outgrow the camera.

Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by ranfoto January 24, 2009 09:51AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Very confusing all this talk of dummies for babies, like it was a book for learning something you don't know about Bending .....but pacifiers.....ok !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 03:47PM by ranfoto.
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by MattW January 24, 2009 04:48PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Great shot, I love how you have used the reflection. (They're called dummies in the UK, too. I find that one in each ear soon stops you hearing the baby cry :) )

Matthew
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by rannestad January 25, 2009 12:23AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you. Now I have learned a couple of things. First I have learned the effect of the dummies/pacifiers. Secondly I have learned that this thing is called dummy in UK and pacifier in US. In Priskilla's languages to be it is either called "narresmukk" (Norwegian) or "narresut" (Danish). It's not so easy for us non-English speakers:)

Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by AJ January 25, 2009 01:31PM reply | quote
posted by AJ

First of all, I like the shot. Well bent, Bjorn.
Secondly, congrats on the New Years gift. ;)
Thirdly, the conversation is amusing.
I have a question. Do you use the word dummy like we do here in the States? To describe a less than intelligent person. A dolt.
We also use it to describe mannequins. I thought when reading the post that you were talking about a doll, and that maybe you called them "dummies". I'm confused now.

Ahh, symantics. ;)

I used my thumb, my little sister used her middle two fingers. I don't have kids but I do know they like too, and will, put things in their mouth. It might as well be something that gets sanitized every once in a while.

Peace and Happiness
AJ

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 01:32PM by AJ.
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by rlhaas January 25, 2009 09:17PM reply | quote
posted by rlhaas
Congratulations on the birth of your child. I'm brand new here (just bought a Composer on Saturday and really haven't had time to do anything with it yet.
I really like this photo. I think it is well composed. Very creative using the mirror as the sweet spot with your baby in the foreground. This is a photo you can cherish for many years to come.
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by BearWoodsDavid January 28, 2009 12:18PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Bjorn, we have all learned the intricacies of linguistic differences because of you. Thanks.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by tellmeindelhi January 28, 2009 10:16PM reply | quote
posted by tellmeindelhi
Congratulations on the new baby!

Yup, I too had to read on to figure out what a dummy was! Oh yes, pacifiers!

I live in Delhi now and I am not sure Indian babies use dummies at all! Hmmm...I should do some research and we can all be "dummy-experts." Haha...oxymoron! There's another word!

B.
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by rannestad February 02, 2009 06:24AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

He he

I am glad I did force you to learn something new about your mother tongue...

I think it is funny how British English, US English and all other kind of English can be so equal, but also different. Interesting.

Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by oliver tudoras February 06, 2009 01:08AM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

very creative Bjorn....
we never used a dummy..our kids never missed it

ATB

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: I hate dummies for babies posted by rannestad February 06, 2009 02:45AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you Ollie

That's interesting. My mom tells me I never used either. I think my daughter has some other needs:) Very effective, but we try to control it. It can make some difficulties for the teeth and the speech, so we try to reduce the use.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today