Lensbaby Studio Forums

Composer vs Control Freak

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Composer vs Control Freak posted by osidat January 22, 2009 10:13PM reply | quote
posted by osidat

I am currently using lensbaby 2. For a while I was thinking about upgrading to Lensbaby 3, and then for some reason, the idea went into cold storage.

Now I am thinking for an upgrade again and have both the Composer and the Control Freak (Lensbaby 3) to choose from.

Can anyone of you folks highlight the primary difference between the two?

If any one of you have used both of these, given a second change, which one would you pick now?

Thanks and million for your valuable comments.

Ciao,
Omer
Re: Composer vs Control Freak posted by BearWoodsDavid January 22, 2009 10:33PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Omer,
The Control Freak is kind of the 3G version with the available optic swap system. I am sure they will have some other goodies added in also but I don't know. The difference as I would see them are these. The CF is going to be a bellows type focus with the bending being done with the post and locking similar to the 3G. The Composer is has a traditional lens type barrel focus and is bent using a ball and pivot. It locks with one large ring on the lens closest to the body. Both will have the optic swap system so they are equal there. I think that depending upon what your use will be would dictate strongly which is best. They both will be fine for any type of photography obviously. Some people will find it easier to lock the Composer into place for repetition in the shot while others will find the CF just as easy. I would think for quick portrait type work it may be easier to manipulate the Composer. My opinion for what it is worth.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Composer vs Control Freak posted by osidat January 23, 2009 03:04AM reply | quote
posted by osidat

David,
Thanks for a detailed response.

Is there a difference between the end results or creativity extents between the 3G and the Composer?, Like its angle of view, extent of sweet spot movement, close up and infinity shots, etc. Or is it just the difference in handling both lenses with exactly the same end result.

Given the fact that prices of both are now the same, I am a bit confused which one would give me the maximum creativity, yet is more stable compared to LB 2.

With LB 2, It is very very difficult to take 2 conseqitive shots with an identical scene and sweet spot. I believe both Composer as well as 3G can be used to fix the sweet spot to a stationary position.

Thanks,
Omer
Re: Composer vs Control Freak posted by ranfoto January 23, 2009 04:53AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

The big difference between the two Lensbaby's is one is not available yet....Ooops !

The 3G is discontinued, but still available. Unless you modify it as I have, it is limited to using the doublet optic with fine focus.

The Composer gives one simple control over roll and fine focus....which is what most folks use most.

The Control Freak when finally available and may be coming soon ......no words as yet ......will give ultimate control as the bellows has fore and aft movement as well as tilt, but the price you pay is easier control which is the main feature of the Composer.

The Control Freak is the view camera of Bending, a bit slower and methodical.

The Composer is for point and shoot Bending for those on the go .

The Muse is for those that desire ultimate control and fluid motion, but no repeat locking up of the movements .

Which one is best ?

All are a compromise in features ....the Control Freak will be the best at compromise.
Re: Composer vs Control Freak posted by BearWoodsDavid January 23, 2009 10:38AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Omer,
The lenses will be the same as in focal lengths, angle of view, etc. The difference is in the construction. What kind of things do you photograph primarily?
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Composer vs Control Freak posted by rannestad January 24, 2009 04:43AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

I have had the 3G, 2.0 and now also the composer. I can see pros and cons for all of them. Here are my experiences:

-2.0 is very dynamic. Great for quick shots (not meaning snap shots, but when there is action or generally much dynamics). The 2.0 becomes a part of your body. You move and work in a special way. You will have to be a part of it. Great fun, creates some unique images, but impossible to repeat.

-3G Has the same features as the 2.0 when unlocked. I almost never locked it because I felt that was too difficult. I have done some still life images with the 3G, off course locked. I did use the fine tuning, but I found the three screews difficult. I would have prefered some x-y movement (in 90-degrees, not 120 degrees as with the three screws)

-Composer. The ball construction makes it much more fast for the locking situations. You are now actually forced to lock the lens (not meaning the screw lock, but you don't push/bend). Repeatability is awesome. It is awesome when you have some time to do the composition, but it sucks for motion and dynamic scenes.

It has been mentioned that the focus distance between composer and muse/control freak is the same. I don't think so. I haven't tried the new control freak and muse, but from the older 3G and 2.0 I have the experience that you can pull the bellow and thereby getting closer. This is impossible with the composer. If this holds true in the newer designs too, the focus distance of the composer is not as close as the muse and control freak.

So which one to choose? Up to you. I am happy for the 2.0 and composer. They really complement each other. For some special cases the control freak may be great, but if I were to choose I would have chosen the muse and composer together. If you're on a budget I would have taken the composer.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 04:44AM by rannestad.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today