Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 hour ago by Milani

The bee

view post

Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by BearWoodsDavid January 20, 2009 08:50AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I was ahead of schedule this morning driving to Atlanta so I decided to stop at a local State Park. The images are processed with Photomatix HDR. I got some ghosting from combining the images on the boat, so I also did a tone mapped version of it. Thanks for looking and comments always welcome.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by justramirez January 20, 2009 09:08AM reply | quote
posted by justramirez

I'm diggin the third photo!
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by RichB January 20, 2009 11:30AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

Love the boat images! (But I can't tell the difference visually between them.)

Rich
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by BearWoodsDavid January 20, 2009 11:33AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Just and Rich. Rich, if you look close enough at the first one, at the edge of the shadow the moving water caused the ghosting. All along the edge of the reflection of the boat in the sweet spot.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by Darby January 20, 2009 07:25PM reply | quote
posted by Darby

Terrific photos. The color tones on the boats with the water movement is well done. I haven't done or used any tone mapping with post processing so not sure I would spot the differences. I do however see slight differences in the boat images, To me the first one is the better one of the two, only because I can SEE the movement and the sweet spot clearly. The dock image has wonderful depth and leading lines. The tones of the water and the dock are true and realistic(not over processed). I think its time for me to learn HDR and tone mapping. do you give lessons? Have a wonderful day!! Kudos Darby
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by igorsv January 20, 2009 07:52PM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

great images!

Igor
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by BearWoodsDavid January 20, 2009 08:30PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Darby and Igor. Darby, I have really embraced this whole HDR thing as simply a way to enhance the look of an image to more closely resemble some scenes the eye sees differently than the camera. Jack Howard who post here has a couple of really good helpful books on it. I do actually teach photography though. I do workshops in and around the Southeast, and occasionally in other areas like the Tetons this coming fall. I do monthly workshops and lectures in Atlanta. All of the workshops, classes and lectures include instruction on HDR. I also do some Lensbaby specific instruction too. If you are ever in Atlanta give us a holler (as we say here). A listing of some of the workshops is on my website Bear Woods Photography
Thanks again.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by jad January 21, 2009 07:53AM reply | quote
posted by jad

Those HDR shots are great. I love the boats and I see the tone-mapping. Here is one I shot the other day and I used photomatix for HDR. Hope you are surviving the cold in Atlanta.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by ScottM January 21, 2009 08:04AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

very nice David. I barely see a difference in the boat shots. Maybe at high res its more noticeable.
Scott
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by BearWoodsDavid January 21, 2009 10:53AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Joye and Scott. Scott, it is much more apparent at a higher res. Joye, we are doing our best to stay warm. If you look at the boat dock image, you can actually see the dusting of snow on the walkway. As they say here in Atlanta..."It ain't much, but it'll do". I sure it is a wee bit chillier up in the hills where you are at. Love the lock image.
David

David Akoubian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2009 10:53AM by BearWoodsDavid.
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by jad January 21, 2009 09:14PM reply | quote
posted by jad

Thanks David,
I have a very old safe in the gallery that has that handle on it. The safe doesn't work but it's good for photos. We are having a heat wave today--48º.

enjoye!

joye

Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by Günter Zetzsche January 22, 2009 05:09AM reply | quote
posted by Günter Zetzsche

The third is a perfect shot

Guenter
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by kmac January 22, 2009 09:51AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Nice set of images - really like the colors in the first two.
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by BearWoodsDavid January 22, 2009 10:43AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Guenter and kmac. Joye we actually hit the 50s today. It is supposed to be cool in the morning and warm for a few days.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by jad January 22, 2009 10:07PM reply | quote
posted by jad

good shooting weather huh? Have a good weekend.

enjoye!

joye

Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by thebarefootphotographer January 24, 2009 09:56AM reply | quote
Our group has been talking about going over there (Sweetwater) when the leaves start to come out.

Your photos make me want to go now!

Nice work -- and I am usually not a big fan of HDR -- but I love these.

Donna
www.thebarefootphotographer.com
Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by BearWoodsDavid January 24, 2009 09:10PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

What group do you belong to Donna? Let me know when you go, I will try to meet you guys. I live about 30 minutes from the park.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sweetwater Creek State Park, Georgia posted by thebarefootphotographer January 24, 2009 10:23PM reply | quote
I lead the Fayette Photo Club -- we meet in Peachtree City twice a month. Occasionally we head out on field shoots. Last year we had ranger-led hikes at Panola Mtn Park and Sprewell Bluff. Sweetwater is on our list for this year.

Donna
www.thebarefootphotographer.com

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today