Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

12 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: Leaf abstractions in B&W

view post

Old Trucks and HDR

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 04, 2009 09:09AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I have been doing more and more HDR work and finally got out to do some with the Lensbaby Composer today. I was hoping for much more contrast in the skies, but it still allowed for some good opportunities. These are some old trucks in Milton, GA. The river is just outside of Ball Ground, GA. 2 of the trucks were single images that I ran through Topaz Adjust and did the Psycho preset. Let me know what you think please, this is all new to me still. I am using Photomatix Pro.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 09:13AM by BearWoodsDavid.
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by Captured Light January 04, 2009 09:20AM reply | quote
posted by Captured Light

Love the mood in the first shot and the rust in the final shot is exquisite!!

Well Done!

Rick
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by igorsv January 04, 2009 09:36AM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

Love #1.

Igor
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 04, 2009 09:21PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Igor and Rick for looking and the kind words.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by RichB January 04, 2009 10:00PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

I also find #1 to be my favorite, but I also like the softness of #5. Good luck on your HDR work -- I'll have to look into some more of that again -- haven't done any since this summer with the barn.

Rich
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by jad January 04, 2009 10:34PM reply | quote
posted by jad

#3 and #6 are my favorites. You do a great job David. PS3 also can do some pretty good HDRs. But I think Photomatix is better on most images.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 04, 2009 10:41PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Rich and Joye. Joye, I tried CS3 for HDR but like you I really like Photomatix much better. I am looking at FDRTools as another source but so far I like what I am getting with Photomatix. Jack Howard who posts here on the forum has a really good book as a resource if you want to take a look at it. It is his newest book Pratical HDR. Thanks again.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by Jack Howard January 04, 2009 10:46PM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

Nice shots David! I love the HDR treatment on the old trucks!

(For the HDR part: CS3/4 has some great 32-bit operations, but its Tone Mappers are a bit challenging... I usually tone map in Photomatix Pro, FDRTools, or Dynamic Photo HDR--and yes, I cover all these in my book ;) )

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Check out my new book! (2nd Edition now Available!)
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 04, 2009 11:50PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Jack. This means a lot coming from you. I turned on a few friends to your newest book. One friend is especially grateful because he is shooting Olympus and the bracketing information has been extremely helpful.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by jWebb January 05, 2009 12:45AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

David,
You are off to a very good start with the HDR. I like #2 best. It is subtle, yet filled with detail. I also use Photomatix. I try to keep the effect as subtle as possible while increasing dynamic range.
Jack
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by RichB January 05, 2009 01:23AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

I think I forgot to mention in my previous post that #2 is also a great image.

Rich
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 05, 2009 03:18AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Rich and Jack. I am really loving how HDR can more closely represent what the eye sees.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by oliver tudoras January 06, 2009 06:01PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

missed this excellent set....

love all ...... esp. the atmospheric in #1....

ATB

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by sixstring563 January 06, 2009 06:43PM reply | quote
posted by sixstring563

I love this gallery. The richly saturated colors really grab you. When I try HDR even with a normal lens all I get is muddy looking mess. 2,4,6 are my favs.
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 06, 2009 08:33PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Ollie and Joe. Joe, I do my HDR image in Photomatix, tone map using detail enhancer usually, unless I want more contrast, then I save it and do my usual post processing in CS3. I usually do a layer adjustment for curves, levels and then unsharp mask. The curves layer especially will put some nice contrast and punch back into the image. Thanks again.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by INITECH_prez January 07, 2009 03:27AM reply | quote
posted by INITECH_prez

Wow, nice set! Personally I like #2 and #6.

-rach

Rachel C.
Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by CGphotography January 07, 2009 05:28AM reply | quote
posted by CGphotography

1 & 2 are my favorites. That old truck interior is so cool!
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 07, 2009 07:28AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Rach and Christopher.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by kmac January 07, 2009 07:53AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Really like the softness to the first image - I know very little about HDR but truck series interesting.
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by jumpinjimmyjava January 10, 2009 11:58PM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

WOW David this series is wonderful. My favorites are No.1 the River and No.6 with the headlight as the focal point. All well done. I find with my LB 2.0 I have to use my exposure compensation, sometimes right up to two stops more to get rich colours and saturation. - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 11, 2009 07:16AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks Jimmy and Kmac. Jimmy, with HDR I am finding that once I do the post processing of the HDR image in CS3 I am getting some really nice colors.

David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by babuci January 11, 2009 07:26AM reply | quote
posted by babuci
Sure the colors steal a show. I have to try some HDR, realy appealing.

Tunde
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by sixstring563 January 21, 2009 10:41AM reply | quote
posted by sixstring563

David,

Thanks for the Photmatix advice. I finally got something decent. I was using another freeware HDR Generator/Tone Mapper (QTPFSGUI). I'm sure thats fine too, but I got much better results with the advice you suggested. Now... back to bending! Thanks again.
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid January 21, 2009 10:50AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I am glad to hear it Joe. HDR is really something else. I am really having fun with it.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by mau February 03, 2009 09:13PM reply | quote
posted by mau
HDR whit shots taken by Lensbaby ?
Very cool idea, congrats
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid February 03, 2009 09:57PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Maurizio,
A friend of mine turned me on to HDR a while back. Jack Howard who post here a lot has written several books on it and talks about Lensbaby lenses in them. I am shooting a whole lot now because of the ability to extend the tonal range dramatically. Thanks.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by digipix76 February 03, 2009 10:04PM reply | quote
posted by digipix76

#1,3 and 6 for me, wonderful.

Ian
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by mau February 03, 2009 10:59PM reply | quote
posted by mau
David,
thanks for suggesting me this book, my english is very dramatic and I hope to find it in Italian language.
I'm interested in HDR processing, at the following link some works of mine.
Best regards
Maurizio

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Old Trucks and HDR posted by BearWoodsDavid February 03, 2009 11:08PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Wow Maurizio,
Those are very incredible images! I especially like the "War" image. I hope others on the forum go to your flickr page to view them. Absolutely wonderful.
David

David Akoubian

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today