Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

8 minutes ago by CatGargoyle

Polygonum hydropiperoides

view post

Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June) posted by WilliamE December 30, 2008 08:58AM reply | quote
posted by WilliamE

Both versions of the same image. (3G, Canon 5D, ISO 200, f4, 1/3200 sec.)
Re: Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June) posted by RichB December 30, 2008 09:15AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Bill,

I love barn pictures. Both are very nice, but the color version is my favorite.

Rich
Re: Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June) posted by BearWoodsDavid December 30, 2008 11:34AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Nicely done. I can't wait to get out there in Sept 09 for a workshop I am doing.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June) posted by ljguitar December 31, 2008 04:30AM reply | quote
posted by ljguitar

Hi William...

If you were to have used f/8 or /f/16 would it increase the sweet spot to encompass the entire barn?

I like the color best.

L a r r y J
Re: Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June) posted by WilliamE January 01, 2009 10:58AM reply | quote
posted by WilliamE

Thanks for the feedback. Larry, yes a smaller aperture like f8 would yield a larger sharper sweet spot. I almost never use apertures smaller than f8 with the 3G though, just too much sharpness. Another factor here is how much you bend. The more bend, the narrower the plane of focus for your sweet spot is also. I'm not one for rules so I recommend experimenting shooting a few beyond what you would normally deem as an acceptable image. Sometimes those experiments yield a better result. It just depends on the subject matter, your distance from the subject and the desired effect you want. I tend to like my foreground subject "sliced" with a shallow field of focus and dropping off soft rather quickly. This is achieved better with wider apertures like f2.8, f4 or even no aperture insert at all.
Re: Grand Tetons - Mormon Row Barn (June) posted by ljguitar January 02, 2009 02:41AM reply | quote
posted by ljguitar

WilliamE
Thanks for the feedback. Larry, yes a smaller aperture like f8 would yield a larger sharper sweet spot. I almost never use apertures smaller than f8 with the 3G though, just too much sharpness. Another factor here is how much you bend. The more bend, the narrower the plane of focus for your sweet spot is also. I'm not one for rules so I recommend experimenting shooting a few beyond what you would normally deem as an acceptable image. Sometimes those experiments yield a better result. It just depends on the subject matter, your distance from the subject and the desired effect you want. I tend to like my foreground subject "sliced" with a shallow field of focus and dropping off soft rather quickly. This is achieved better with wider apertures like f2.8, f4 or even no aperture insert at all.

Thanks William...
Off to Experiment...

L a r r y J

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today