Latest Post

4 hours ago by jffoto

Re: On the other side

view post

scarecrows

Newer Topic | Older Topic

scarecrows posted by photomunky December 28, 2008 02:26PM reply | quote
posted by photomunky

Found 3 scarecrows in a local community garden while on a walk during our recent snowstorm (in Seattle). Went back to shoot them today on a clear day.

I'm really new to bending (and photography in general), and would really appreciate any constructive feedback.
Re: scarecrows posted by BearWoodsDavid December 28, 2008 08:40PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Hi Tyler,
Again welcome to the LB forum and photography. You have a very good eye for subjects and compositional placement. I like the series. I think the only thing that in my opinion, and that will differ from many other folks here on occasion, is that the brighter sky takes away from the scarecrows standing out some. For instance with a slightly cloudy or blue sky they would jump off the screen at you. With the clouds they lose some of their vibrancy. I know that clear skies in Seattle in December is a stretch, so knowing that I think they are wonderful especially for the conditions.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: scarecrows posted by RichB December 28, 2008 09:05PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Tyler,

I agree with David's comments regarding your ability to create nice compositions -- that is a gift.

Rich
Re: scarecrows posted by ljguitar December 31, 2008 04:44AM reply | quote
posted by ljguitar

photomunky
Found 3 scarecrows in a local community garden while on a walk during our recent snowstorm (in Seattle). Went back to shoot them today on a clear day.

I'm really new to bending (and photography in general), and would really appreciate any constructive feedback.
HI p-monkey...
I like the shots. My favorite is the first. Have you considered cropping it square to tighten in on the images...rather than leaving all the space at the top...I love leading space (be it up, down or to the side). The windmill did it for me - great catch.

Thanks for taking time to go back and shoot these...

L a r r y J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2008 04:45AM by ljguitar.
Re: scarecrows posted by jWebb January 01, 2009 03:04AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

Tyler, I agree with both David and Larry. There are a couple of ways to get more detail in the sky. The first is to under expose by about a half stop. If you are using Photoshop you can then use the curves adjustment to balance the exposure. The other way is to use HDR very subtly on the images. With the cropping, many here don't believe in cropping LB pics, but a good image is a good image. PP is as important as the initial capture. You have a good eye for subject and composition. Good work.
Jack
Re: scarecrows posted by kmac January 01, 2009 07:49AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Great scarecrow images!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today