Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

18 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Pinhole Optics / Controler

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by mitchabell November 12, 2008 03:38AM reply | quote
posted by mitchabell

Playing with the Pinhole Optics and got some interesting results. This image looks hand colored vintaged. I was suprised to see so many black particles which I photoshoped out. I was told that the dirt on the sensor is much more magnifed with this optic and thats why it shows up so dramatically.

- Mitch
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by Rob with camera November 12, 2008 04:30AM reply | quote
posted by Rob with camera

Cool ... that's nice and dreamy.

You'll notice that as you stop down your aperture, sensor dust gets more and more visible. I really don't like it and generally will not shoot my DSLR at anything smaller than f8.

Rob

"It comes in pints?... I'm getting one!"

[www.flickr.com]
[www.redbubble.com]
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by mitchabell November 12, 2008 05:29AM reply | quote
posted by mitchabell

Thank you Rob for the explination. I never new that until i used the the optic. Good news is i can go to a 2.0 and there is no dust that shows up in my image. It only shows up when I use the Pinhole optic.
Thanks!

Regards,
Mitch
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by Rob with camera November 12, 2008 05:46AM reply | quote
posted by Rob with camera

Yep ... f2 will be good for everyone (unless the sensor is really really dirty), it's only at the smaller apertures like f11, f16 and onwards that it gets to be a problem. I once shot a beach scene at f22 or so and it looked like someone had spat coffee all over the image.

Rob

"It comes in pints?... I'm getting one!"

[www.flickr.com]
[www.redbubble.com]
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by crfrey71 November 12, 2008 06:10AM reply | quote
posted by crfrey71

Best bet is to clean the sensor, and immediately put the pinhole on and make a day of using the pinhole/zone plate. But, IMO, dust dots may not be such a bad thing. WHAT???

I think it actually adds to the old, vintage look. I know I use textures to take away the perfect clean look a lot. So it might not be all bad.
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by rannestad November 12, 2008 03:43PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

When I got my first dslr some three years ago I had read a lot about sensor dust. I was really paranoid. Before I had shot 1000 images I had cleaned the sensor two times, and I could still see one or two specs when stopped down to f22.

That crazy idea left my head and I have not cleaned the sensor since. I have taken aprox. 60k images since then, and have never looked at the dust again. When I use a pinhole, it's like someone spit on the image, but I like that.

Your image has really that vintage colored look. Great. Go for it. More pinholes please.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by mitchabell November 12, 2008 09:08PM reply | quote
posted by mitchabell

Bjorn, Thanks..... A little dirt cant hurt anyone's creativity. I need to go back and take a second look at my set of images from that day with marks and all.
Regards,
Mitch
Re: Pinhole Optics / Controler posted by oliver tudoras November 12, 2008 09:23PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

I was shocked also after my first pinhole/zoneplate shots....my sensor was so dirty....

love this wonderful shot...great result!!

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today