Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

15 hours ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by Craig (Admin) November 03, 2008 02:14AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Got this at a street fair in NY City a week ago. Used the zone plate with a 0.42x super wide angle lens that we'll be offering later this year.

Long shutter speed of 1/4 second at 1600 ISO for this shady subject meant that I took three or four for every one that was not motion blurred due to camera shake. These little bobble-heads blurred a bunch of the images with their head-wagging as they stared blankly in the camera in disbelief at the contraption upon which their wee beady eyes beheld.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by RichB November 03, 2008 02:29AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Craig,

Cool image. Can't wait till your super wide becomes available. Later this year must mean within the next 9 weeks. Maybe before Christmas???

Thanks for a great job on the new line of Lenbaby products!

Rich
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by igorsv November 03, 2008 03:16AM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

A suitable for the Zone plate optic subject. The glow is a great treatment for this image.

Igor.
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by ranfoto November 03, 2008 03:26AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Seems you've got a flair for this type of Bending ......could be a new direction for your Bendy aRts....:))

And more tools for we Bent users !
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by kmac November 03, 2008 05:59AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Fun image - love the colors and the glow.
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by Craig (Admin) November 03, 2008 08:20AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Thanks for the comments.

It is fun finding subject matter that works with the zone plate. I find that high contrast is a must and highly backlit subjects, though the turtle image is not one of those, seem to bring out a quality that is difficult to describe or imagine with any other optic.

Here is an image that I would say is perfect for the zone plate. Also shot in NY.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2008 08:31AM by Craig.
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by RichB November 03, 2008 08:27AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Craig,

Agreed -- I really like the zone plate effect on your second image.

Rich
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by ranfoto November 03, 2008 08:53AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Well .....I feel it's coming down to folks discovering the gold is in the Composing part of Bending nowdays .....you've got to look for perspectives that Bend your imagination, when you do the aRt paRt jumps out and you get very excited about your imaging .

Life should never be boring.....especially if you can Bend it !
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by BearWoodsDavid November 03, 2008 09:15AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Very cool images, I can't wait...another toy for the toy box.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by igorsv November 03, 2008 09:21PM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

Craig, It's a good advise on the subject selection. Photographers should keep it mind. An attempt to shoot anything with this optic will lead to disappointment. But this is a wonderful tool for creative work. Love the NYC image - inspiring.

Igor.
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by jumpinjimmyjava November 04, 2008 08:45AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

Cool pic Craig. I enjoy the soft dream like glow of this fun image. Well done - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by Daifuku Sensei November 05, 2008 11:00AM reply | quote
posted by Daifuku Sensei
Love your second one. Can't wait to get my Muse now :)

0.42x? What viewing angle is that roughly on a cropped DSLR then? 30mm?
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by Chrono1081 November 05, 2008 06:27PM reply | quote
posted by Chrono1081
Any hint on when that super wide may be available? :D
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by Craig (Admin) November 06, 2008 07:10AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

The 0.42x is about a 23mm field of view on the double glass which starts at a focal length of 54mm. The pinhole/zone plate and the plastic optics are all a bit wider to start with when focused all the way in. Take your multiplier factor (2x 1.6x 1.5x 1.3x) and apply it to 23mm and you get your equivalent field of view to a full frame sensor.

Because of the barrel distortion the image appears to be wider than 23mm and it is on diagonal but not straight across top or up and down in the middle.

Super Wide will be out by the end of 2008. Can't say any more than that as the boxes and other items needed to begin shipping are in process.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Composer, zone plate, super wide and turtles posted by oliver tudoras November 06, 2008 11:15PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

love the glow in the first image.....
#2 is awesome

cheers

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today