Latest Post

7 hours ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

Reflections on Bosnia

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Reflections on Bosnia posted by RichB October 25, 2008 12:48PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Here are some of the images (all taken with the Composer and Double Optic) of my trip to Bosnia, October 20-24, 2008, during which I lectured on business applications of geographic information systems at Slobomir P University.
#1 -- Slobomir P University, a private university founded by Slobodon and Mira Pavlovic in 2003. Residents of Chicago for more than 30 years, they have given much back to their Homeland of Bosnia, under the belief that academic development will contribute to economic growth and stability.
#2 -- 'Slobomir' translates to "Freedom and Peace", with the elephants that are free to roam symbolizing this.
#3 -- The beautiful atrium staircase in Slobomir P University just outside of the city of Bijeljina, Bosnia.
#4 -- Iron gate surrounding a Catholic church in Bijeljina.
#5 -- Icon outside a church at an ethnic village near Bijeljina.
#6 -- Church in the ethnic village.
#7 -- A church in downtown Bijeljina.
#8 -- City Hall of Bijeljina at night.
#9 -- The flag of the country of Bosnia and Herzegovina, surrounded by the flags of its two governing entities, the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Republika Srpska.
#10 -- View of downtown Bijeljina.
#11 -- Another view of downtown Bijeljina
#12 -- Monument in memory of those who died in the Bosnian War (1992-1995).
#13 -- King Peter Karadjordjevic defeats the enemy, denoted by a body with three heads.
#14 -- Visiting Bosnia is like going back in time. There were many horse-drawn carts along main roads, with farmers moving their harvest to destinations.

Thanks for your interest in viewing these images. My visit to Bosnia was a tremendous learning experience.
Rich

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 02:01AM by RichB.
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by ScottM October 25, 2008 02:33PM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

very nice Rich and thanks for the info. Looks like a good place to shoot.
Scott
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by igorsv October 25, 2008 09:34PM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

Thanks for sharing the images. It's always interesting to explore unknown places.
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by jbrunjes October 25, 2008 09:35PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Rich,
Looks like a great trip. Some of these would look even better in B&W.
Now to wipe the Composer Envy Drool off my keyboard.
Joby
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by paul morgan October 25, 2008 10:05PM reply | quote
posted by paul morgan

These are all very good, the setting for six looks almost medieval.
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by jumpinjimmyjava October 26, 2008 12:31AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

WOW Rich, wonderful images here. I did not realize Bosnia was so beautiful! Thanks for sharing - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by jamesdavidphotography October 26, 2008 12:43AM reply | quote
Love travel images... I'll bet when they saw that lens they wondered what it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 12:43AM by jamesdavidphotography.
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by ranfoto October 26, 2008 04:01AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Culture Composings ......very old world still .....modern Bendings of Bosnia, but it's roots are tied to a very old way of life .......a Rich view for sure !
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by BearWoodsDavid October 26, 2008 07:05AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Rich,
What a great series. The images are simple yet wonderful compositions that make me feel like I would have a good idea of what to expect if I ever made it to Bosnia. What a great job of documenting a beautiful place, and thanks for sharing them with us.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by kmac October 26, 2008 08:08AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

Really nice images - thanks for sharing - won't pick any favorites but my eye keeps coming back to the sixth.
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by RichB October 26, 2008 11:14AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks Scott, Igor, Joby, Paul, Jimmy, James, Ran, Davd, and Kmac.

Paul -- I think that they purposely constructed this ethnic village to appear medieval.

James -- Actually, the Composer looks much more like a "normal" lens, so my guess is that it will not draw as much "what is that" attention as the first Lensbaby line of products.

Rich
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by rannestad October 29, 2008 03:08AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Great for you that you got this trip. It must have been interesting. No8 is my favorite. The composition and light in this is awesome. Welcome back:)

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: Reflections on Bosnia posted by RichB October 29, 2008 12:44PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Bjorn,

Thank you for looking. I appreciate your comments on #8.

Rich

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today