Latest Post

5 days ago by jffoto

Re: Tulipmania

view post

Sunset at the Beach

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sunset at the Beach posted by susabell September 24, 2008 01:35AM reply | quote
posted by susabell

Took these at sunset a few weeks back. I realize there are some blown highlights. Should I have used a filter? I probably should have bracketed. Any thoughts on how I could have done these better?

Re: Sunset at the Beach posted by craig16229 September 24, 2008 03:39AM reply | quote
posted by craig16229

Hi, Susan

There are many different approaches for handling highlights in a scene with a high dynamic range like this one

I'll just give you one way I use: Shoot the scene to favor slight underexposure. Bring the image into an image editor like PhotoShop that has layering capability. Duplicate the layer that your image is on, then lighten one of the layers (I use PhotoShop's screen blending option) to bring back your underexposed areas. Make your darker layer your top layer, then selectively erase parts of that top layer to reveal the lighter exposure of the lower layer.

This is a very abridged description of just one technique, and there are many other details that can get very sophisticated (like using layer masks) that can yield even better results.

Craig

[www.craigwasselphotoart.com]

"The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking . . . ."

~ Brooks Atkinson ~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 03:40AM by craig16229.
Re: Sunset at the Beach posted by susabell September 24, 2008 09:50AM reply | quote
posted by susabell

Thank you for the help Craig :-)
Re: Sunset at the Beach posted by craig16229 September 24, 2008 09:32PM reply | quote
posted by craig16229

You are very welcome. It's hard to describe the techniques with words alone, so you may want to bookmark and read this page:

[www.luminous-landscape.com]

It presents several methods, and mini-tutorials for each.

Craig

[www.craigwasselphotoart.com]

"The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking . . . ."

~ Brooks Atkinson ~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 09:34PM by craig16229.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today