Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

19 hours ago by RichB

Re: Blue Bells and Butter Cups

view post

Just starting out!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Just starting out! posted by Addicted2bulldogs September 21, 2012 01:45PM reply | quote
posted by Addicted2bulldogs
Hello all! I'm brand new to this forum and I need some advice. I'm looking to invest in the Lensbaby and don't know where to start. I'm totally inexperienced and completely self taught. I currently have the Canon 60D and a Canon Rebel XT. The area that I'm best at is outdoor portraits. Lighting is the hardest for me. I'm nervous about this forum, because of my inexperience in photography. Another thing...I tried to read thru and see if I could come up with the answers, but I'm a visual learner. So, reading any owner manual, how to book or forum...makes my head spin. So..please help me decide which option would be best.

Sorry if this landed in the wrong area...I'm still trying to find my way around!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 03:04PM by Addicted2bulldogs.
Re: Just starting out! posted by Fgelormini September 22, 2012 05:48AM reply | quote
posted by Fgelormini

Hi Addicted - first-welcome! Please don't feel nervous about the forum. I've found that this isn't like other forums where everyone is a critic; but certainly some people will be willing to help you look for ways to advance.
Secondly. in my opinion, I know its a few bucks, but I have found that the sweet 35 in a composer is the best way to start out. The adjustable aperture in the sweet 35 relieves you from the possible frustration of switching the other optic's aperture discs. You can move onto those later. In addition, the composer (either one) gives you the flexibility to move your sweet spot when you get the hang of things without feeling like you missing out on something you should have bought later.
If you can't handle the price of the sweet 35, the double glass may be the next best thing, as it still gives you a sharp image that you may be used to.
However, if you just want to dabble, the spark (just released) is easy on the wallet, but may be a bit hard to control.
In any event, if you need some help, feel free to reach out to me at FGelormini@mac.com

Best of luck.
Re: Just starting out! posted by Muhammad Firdaus September 23, 2012 09:49AM reply | quote
posted by Muhammad Firdaus

Welcome to LB world.

I still remember my first time using the LB. I bought Composer with double glass optic. My first mistake was that I immediately bend it too much. So, I get frustrated with the images. So, my first advice will be don't bend the lens yet. Try to use it like normal lens (no bending) and familiarise with the effect. Then, when you feel comfortable, try to bend it a little. Practice a lot. Spark will be nice since it is cheap.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today