Latest Post

6 hours ago by ebby62

fishing

view post

Zone Plate at the beach

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Zone Plate at the beach posted by smartin August 19, 2012 03:46AM reply | quote
posted by smartin
I have recently been using the zone plate optic. This one is on a recent trip to the beach (entitled "Mystery of the Sea"). Taken with a lens baby composer pro on a Canon 40D and processed using Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

I would really like to hear how others have been using this optic, and any tips/tricks they may have learned.

Thanks,
Steve
Re: Zone Plate at the beach posted by gardencat August 19, 2012 07:35PM reply | quote
posted by gardencat

Interesting shot, dream like but in a different way than the plastic optic.

When I got my Lensbaby I also picked up the kit with the three optics ( plastic, single glass and pinhole/zone plate) I took a couple of random shots with each and quickly decided that the zone plate appeared to be the most challenging to use and, since I am a brand new Lensbaby owner, I decided to put it aside and concentrate on getting some dexterity with the other optics first so, I'm afraid I can't offer any helpful tips.
Like you, I'd be interested in hearing from others who have any tips or hints about how to get the best out of it.
Re: Zone Plate at the beach posted by Wanda August 21, 2012 03:40PM reply | quote
posted by Wanda

Sorry no zone plate here but really like your shot. I think it is excellent use of the optic because you taook advantage of the blacks in this image. Great mood! Maybe Doug Sahlin's e-book Mastering the Lensbaby can help you. He discusses every optic in it.

Wanda
Re: Zone Plate at the beach posted by smartin August 22, 2012 12:10PM reply | quote
posted by smartin
Thanks for the comments gardencat and Wanda!

So far I've discovered that a tripod is pretty useful when shooting with this optic (especially the pinhole, since it's effectively f/177!). The other thing is that with such a small effective aperture, any sensor dust becomes HIGHLY visible and so one has to spend some time cloning it out (which can be automated somewhat in lightroom). The dust spots are somewhat less noticeably when using the zone plate compared to the pinhole. And, I've found the zone plate to be about 4 stops faster than the pinhole in my experimentation.

-Steve
Re: Zone Plate at the beach posted by Craig (Admin) August 25, 2012 05:56AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

You're making me crave my zone plate.
Re: Zone Plate at the beach posted by Samurai Photographer August 26, 2012 12:57AM reply | quote
Very nice image. Excellent use of the Zone Plate optic.

Doug Sahlin
Author of Mastering the Lensbaby: A step-by-step guide to mastering the Lensbaby and becoming a more creative photographer.The book is available at the Amazon Kindle store. to find out more about the book or to download a sample chapter, click here: [amzn.to]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today