Latest Post

7 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Taming the Dragon

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Taming the Dragon posted by photosnod August 05, 2012 04:14AM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

double glass f5.6 macro kit installed and stacked.the flowers in the background added some nice pastel tones to the blur of the double glass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 08:44AM by photosnod.
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Caroline August 06, 2012 03:11AM reply | quote
posted by Caroline

These are outstanding!

Caroline,

New Lensbaby owner and avid photo blogger:

www.lovestandsstill.com
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by photosnod August 06, 2012 03:46AM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

thanks Caroline, i have been doing the lensbaby stuff for about a year and a half. and just getting the hang of it!
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Crabcakes August 07, 2012 12:48AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

I'm jealous! I've never been able to get that close to a dragonfly without spooking them....

Great set--especially #1. well done

btw...I've been doing the LB thing for about five years and I'm STILL getting the hang of it!

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Victoria Bell August 07, 2012 02:05AM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

WOW, these are great! HOW did you manage to focus? It must have been relatively still. The flower/color blur is gorgeous. You done good!

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by photosnod August 07, 2012 04:07AM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

well Victoria the way i was doing it was,I would compose the shot and get the focus as sharp as i could and take three continuous shots each. sometimes more but I keep it low so i dont have to go through too many. most times i luck out on the first click!. and then some of the compositions i really like are usually deleted due to focus issues. thanks for the comments and support.
these little dragon flies tend to be quite content to sit there. I find they also like the same perch so if i spook them i just wait a couple of seconds and they come right back to where they were. some cases my lens was less than an inch away.
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Victoria Bell August 07, 2012 07:46AM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Well, you did a great job. Dragonflies are so beautiful

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Platinoff August 14, 2012 10:39AM reply | quote
posted by Platinoff
All of them are just... WOW!
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Samurai Photographer August 15, 2012 09:19AM reply | quote
Very nice set of images. The best ones are the photos where the dragonfly's head is in sharp focus. Have you tried using a smaller aperture disk for a larger depth of field? I find this helps when you're shooting closeups of insects and flowers.
Well done.
Cheers,
Doug

Doug Sahlin
Author of Mastering the Lensbaby: A step-by-step guide to mastering the Lensbaby and becoming a more creative photographer.The book is available at the Amazon Kindle store. to find out more about the book or to download a sample chapter, click here: [amzn.to]
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by photosnod August 15, 2012 04:20PM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

thanks Doug, i like the dreamy look of a wider open aperture. It also allows me to keep my shutter speed high with iso low for ultra low noise. Thanks for the tip, wow the author of Mastering Lensbaby!? cool!! here is one with smaller aperture not sure how small but anyhoo......
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Wanda August 21, 2012 03:54PM reply | quote
posted by Wanda

Beautiful set! First two are my faves. Lovely colours by the way!

Wanda
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by Shatzie7 August 25, 2012 11:55PM reply | quote
posted by Shatzie7

Really amazing. I love the one of the wings. All the detail is great.
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by trexpixx August 27, 2012 02:43AM reply | quote
posted by trexpixx

I love this series and the blurred pastel colors make those dragon wings pop.
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by The Intrepid Banana (Admin) August 27, 2012 02:46AM reply | quote
awesome! ~ these came out so good! How'd you get that guy to hold still??
Re: Taming the Dragon posted by photosnod August 27, 2012 07:28AM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

I told him to ! ;)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today