Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 minutes ago by Milani

The bee

view post

Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by The Intrepid Banana (Admin) February 21, 2012 10:08AM reply | quote
Just a collection of images from the past few months taken with the Edge 80 and Sweet 35 Optics.
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by Victoria Bell February 21, 2012 11:31PM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Hey, I recognize some of these from the edge page/video. I've been staring at that cutlery for days! Big question: which way do you tilt the lens to place the slice? I've combed through several sites on tilt/shift (I know edge is not really one) and all I'm hearing is focus planes, xyz, maths, sheet of glass,distance, blah, blah, blah.......My mind ain't wrapping around it too well. The edge simulator thingy is confusing to me also because the movable lens is not facing the subject, but me. So I'm saying to myself, should I be thinking backwards? which I always do anyway. Say right and I'll go left etc. ARGGG! That did give me an idea though. Last night I took several shots of my keyboard with the lens wide open, tilting in the OPPOSITE way I wanted my focus slice. This gave better results, but also gave me a headache opposite-ing the diagonals.

I've played enough with it to realize that you can tilt it in pretty much any direction and place the focus where wanted, BUT this can throw other unwanted areas into focus. For me its not as easy as just checking my results on my camera screen, because I have very poor eyesight. I have to magnify the view, scroll around....hard to get the big picture.

So, could you please share your technique? TIA!

The last two pics in your set are my favorites, especially the colors/comp of the final one. Would love to see some more!

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by The Intrepid Banana (Admin) February 22, 2012 05:00AM reply | quote
Hi Victoria,

We'll be putting out another video soon that goes more in depth on placing the slice. But a general rule of thumb is to tilt the lens towards the same plane as your subject to get more in focus and tilt away from your subject to get less in focus. So for the table top photo where everything is in focus the lens was tilted down towards the table and for the photo where the DoF is really shallow the lens was point up away from the table giving an even shallower DoF than if the lens were pointed straight ahead. Here's the same shot with the lens pointed both towards and away from the table and a straight ahead shot for comparison. If your camera has live view it might be easier for you to view the plane of focus there.
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by photosnod February 22, 2012 05:17AM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

funny how the edge 80 makes image 8 look like a miniature!
i like it in strange sort of way
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by Victoria Bell February 23, 2012 01:47AM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Thank you for the explanation. I'm still not quite "getting it" I can see though, how the edge could be excellent for macro for greater dof.

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by The Intrepid Banana (Admin) March 07, 2012 06:58AM reply | quote
Hi Victoria,

We just posted another video about tilt photography with Edge 80 - you might find it helpful in learning how to tilt the lens to place the slice. You can watch it here: [j.mp]

Cheers,
Sika

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 07:01AM by The Intrepid Banana.
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by Victoria Bell March 07, 2012 12:14PM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Thank you!!

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Edge 80 and Sweet 35 recent shots posted by Marcum March 08, 2012 12:53AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

The Intrepid Banana
Hi Victoria,

We just posted another video about tilt photography with Edge 80 - you might find it helpful in learning how to tilt the lens to place the slice. You can watch it here: [j.mp]

Cheers,
Sika

This video is most helpful, thank you.

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today