Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Leaf abstractions in B&W

view post

Esther with fisheye

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Esther with fisheye posted by Victoria Bell February 12, 2012 12:43PM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

I took these last week of my daughter, Esther.

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Esther with fisheye posted by susangrace February 13, 2012 12:12AM reply | quote
posted by susangrace

Wow! I love the dramatic sky! I have never used the fisheye...did you use a flash? Do you mind sharing your camera settings? Love this series, nicely done....
Re: Esther with fisheye posted by Victoria Bell February 13, 2012 02:09AM reply | quote
posted by Victoria Bell

Thank you, Susan for viewing and commenting.

I underexposed the sky (drama)and fired my speedlite camera left without any diffusion (softbox etc.) I love using the fisheye in this way. If your subject is fairly centered, and you're backed off a ways, then the subject will not have too much distortion. Plus, if you have enough resolution you can crop out the ultra edge distortion that a fisheye gives. Here's another example using the fisheye. In this shot I was closer to the models and shooting from a low angle. I fired the flash similarly.

The fisheye is actually very versatile, and really sharp.Fisheye pics don't have to have that "goofy" look. You can use it for macros and sweeping landscapes. Just don't be afraid to crop.

My Flickr Photostream
Re: Esther with fisheye posted by susangrace February 13, 2012 03:24AM reply | quote
posted by susangrace

Thank you! This is great-I don't have a fish eye yet (but I just may have to borrow my daughters), looks like fun. And the off camera flash really adds mood/drama to the image.
Re: Esther with fisheye posted by BFCoughlin February 15, 2012 10:09AM reply | quote
posted by BFCoughlin
Not ever having used a fisheye, I wouldn't have known it could be used to that effect. They are lovely portraits of your daughter, but I think they go beyond the specific to provide a universal glimpse into the adolescence of a young girl.
Re: Esther with fisheye posted by Karenoc11 February 15, 2012 05:02PM reply | quote
posted by Karenoc11

I really, really, really like the way you have cropped the nasty edges that the fisheye gives!
You are inspiring me to look into the fisheye, so thank you!
These are great!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today