Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

4 hours ago by PBlais

Sweet 50 "Two Bees"

view post

custom creative aperture with macro in Jewelry shot.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

custom creative aperture with macro in Jewelry shot. posted by vivian chung January 07, 2011 10:06AM reply | quote
posted by vivian chung

I regularly photograph images for my friend who sell custom make jewelery. Other than the standard 100mm macro lens, I always sneak in a few lensbaby shot. I know she doesn't really post these because not all part of the photos are clear, but I see this as way to practice my sense of finding the lights and how to manipulate the background to get the max creative aperture effect.

For these shot, I crumble up two piece of tin foil and support it behind a giant plate I got from Ikea, which is my table top studio.(I own a light tent but I don't really like to use it...I find it limiting...)Use a speedlite through a metal container that has a lot of holes on it to filter out the strobe, and added a LED book light to light the silver of the piece.

Main light is either wall bounce or ceiling bounce, because I still need the pieces to looks great~

Thought? by the way, I custom cut a few of the aperture plate with a personal cutting machine, for this series I made a logo of her company and a maple leaf. I don't think the logo show up well but I will try to find another light source to showcase it next time.
Re: custom creative aperture with macro in Jewelry shot. posted by kristy January 09, 2011 09:29AM reply | quote
posted by kristy

These are great! The light and the colors of the flowers in the background make the jewelry even more beautiful!

Kristy
Re: custom creative aperture with macro in Jewelry shot. posted by Mike Bokeh January 10, 2011 02:55AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Vivian, I like all your shots, but if you're looking for ideas, may I suggest using a darker background?

Jewelry is bright and flashy by nature, and I think a darker background, though not necessarily black would really make these images pop.

Perhaps re-shoot a few of these with a royal blue, mauve or dark gray background?

Your images are great the way they are; this is just an idea I had.

Mike

Lensbabies make you think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 02:57AM by Mike Bokeh.
Re: custom creative aperture with macro in Jewelry shot. posted by vivian chung January 10, 2011 04:54AM reply | quote
posted by vivian chung

Thanks Kristy~

Mike I actually did a few of these last year with dark background (I shot these inside a black display cases with mirror in the back and glass shelf...you can see them here,[www.flickr.com], although they are not by lensbaby..)Everyone LOVE it, but she had changed her website design so she wanted all white background...

I am incline to see what it will look like with a darker background, so I guess I will try it next time~ Thanks for the suggestion.

Vivian

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today