Lensbaby Studio Forums

Underwater Images 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Underwater Images 2 posted by christianloader December 05, 2010 07:42PM reply | quote
posted by christianloader

Hi,

Here are some more underwater Lensbaby Composer images (a few are also in the last post i wrote).

Thank you all for your kind comments in the last post!

As i said before it is a rrreaally frustrating lens to use underwater, but i'm enjoying it more and more as i learn the tricks and get better images with the Composer.

Traditional underwater photography is almost entirely either wide-angle, or macro. Of which i love both. But in the small world of underwater photography, many people produce very similar images to each other, and it's exciting to try something new.

A lot of underwater photographers use the 'zoom blur' technique (slow shutter speed + zoom + high f number + rear-curtain flash) to add motion to an image, which requires perfect timing and composition to get a nice shot. With the Lensbaby Composer, it's possible to get this effect, but using a high shutter speed (i think all these shots were s1/320), so you can capture an action or 'moment' (including some sharpness of the subject) and not lose it to the slow shutter speed.

For the first week of testing the Composer underwater, i could only dive with the focus distance and tilt/shift fixed for the duration of each dive, meaning i had very little options of what to shoot. However, last week i managed to fix a 'focus ring' for my macro lens (and underwater camera housing) onto the Composer, allowing me to manually adjust the focus while underwater, which really opens up the possibilities of what i can shoot on each dive. However the tilt/shift of the Composer has to be pretty much fixed in the centre for this to work.

The plot thickens, and the underwater test continues...

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Christian Loader

Scubazoo Images
Scubazoo Images Stock Library
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by RichB December 05, 2010 07:56PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Chrstian,

Phenomenal colors -- nice image work and an enjoyable read.

Rich
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by Lorna Taylor December 06, 2010 05:04AM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

These are just stunning, great work!

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by WilliamE December 06, 2010 09:29AM reply | quote
posted by WilliamE

Christian,
These are great. Well executed and I know technically tough to judge your sweet spot before hand. I think you have found a great niche for underwater work here. Looking forward to seeing more posts. Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by jffoto December 06, 2010 09:44PM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
Another great series Christian, and really enjoyable reading, well done work, thank you for sharing!

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by poluc December 06, 2010 11:29PM reply | quote
posted by poluc
Once again wonderful series,

congratulations!!
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by christianloader December 07, 2010 09:10PM reply | quote
posted by christianloader

Thanks everyone!
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by valentinobv December 07, 2010 09:56PM reply | quote
posted by valentinobv

Hi there,
Very nice and interesting set. Nr. 7 looks like from "Finding Nemo" and it's a fave along with 3 and 5.
Cheers!
Vali

When you can see the future, you think you're capable of changing it. But you're just a witness to comming moments...
Re: Underwater Images 2 posted by heidib December 08, 2010 01:15PM reply | quote
posted by heidib
Very interesting and such beautiful images. I look forward to seeing more.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today