Latest Post

17 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: November walk

view post

Soft Focus Optic Macros

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath February 28, 2010 04:22AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

I have been working with the Muse and soft focus optic on flower macros and really liking the results. Cannot wait for spring so I can start shooting flowers outside again!

www.kathleenclemonsphotography.com
[www.ppsop.com]

My blog: [kathleenclemons.blogspot.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Bones February 28, 2010 04:37AM reply | quote
posted by Bones

These are gorgeous Kath. I espescially like the first one and the third. Yeah I think we're all getting anxiuos for spring.

Brian

"Keeping a positive attitude won't solve all your problems. You will, however, annoy enough people to make it worth your while."
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Emma_THS February 28, 2010 04:42AM reply | quote
posted by Emma_THS

Love the fourth one especially. I didn't want the soft focus optic until now...

[tolhorse-studios.blogspot.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by RichB February 28, 2010 07:18AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Kath,

All are very nice soft focus macros. At least March is ALMOST here, and with it SPRING.

Rich
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by aneigen February 28, 2010 08:52AM reply | quote
posted by aneigen
Gorgeous!
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by kmac February 28, 2010 10:44AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

really beautiful set - I just love the first two.
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by jWebb February 28, 2010 11:15AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

Kath,
As always, your images are fantastic. You have such a good eye for compelling images. Thanks.
Jack
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by ahcigar1 February 28, 2010 11:26AM reply | quote
posted by ahcigar1

All I can say is beautiful.

[www.dingoimages.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 01, 2010 04:28AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

Thanks, everyone. :)

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Lucia and Mapp March 01, 2010 04:49AM reply | quote
posted by Lucia and Mapp

These are all so beautiful, I especially like the first and the third .
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by dewberry1964 March 01, 2010 04:59AM reply | quote
posted by dewberry1964

all are beautiful but the tird one blows me away, stunning
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by rannestad March 01, 2010 05:02AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

The soft optic is just made for this. Beautiful. I would love to make such nice images...

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by mumbler March 01, 2010 01:35PM reply | quote
posted by mumbler

Beautiful colour and great use of the SF. No 4 is great.

I'm inspired to try the SF with my kenko tubes on some of my wife's roses :)

--
[mumbler.1x.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by TG-J (Admin) March 01, 2010 09:40PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Kath, lovely shots,really like the way this optic has mottled the background in #2, almost a classic portrait type background affect. Love to see more of this optic in you hands.tony.
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 02, 2010 05:33AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

Thank you all very much!

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by codrin March 02, 2010 03:36PM reply | quote
posted by codrin

Very beautiful, Kathleen, delicate works, I like them a lot!

Codrin
[1x.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 03, 2010 03:51AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

Thank you Codrin. :)

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by acidsaturation March 04, 2010 11:57PM reply | quote
posted by acidsaturation
These are brilliant. So alien!

[www.christianbodden.co.uk]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Lorna Taylor March 05, 2010 12:40AM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Stunning flower work! Each one a favorite!

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by jad March 05, 2010 09:24AM reply | quote
posted by jad

Great shots Kathleen. You've got me looking forward to spring too. Can't wait.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by MelBrackstone March 06, 2010 07:26AM reply | quote
posted by MelBrackstone

Oh so superbly shot!!

Mel :) In sunny Brisbane, Australia
[melbrackstone.com]
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 06, 2010 08:06AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

Thanks so much, Christian, Lorna, Joye and Mel. :)

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by acidsaturation March 06, 2010 08:10PM reply | quote
posted by acidsaturation
I'm definitely gonna think about getting this optic, what I'm not clear about though, surely putting in one of the narrower aperture disks will destroy the soft focus (as it is produced by the smaller holes outside the main opening, is that right?). Would then you be able to get this effect with lots of small holes cut into a blank disk..? Might try.

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 06, 2010 11:29PM reply | quote
posted by Kath

Hi Christian,

The soft effect is created by the optic, not the aperture disks, so there will be softness no matter which aperture you use.

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by acidsaturation March 07, 2010 12:57AM reply | quote
posted by acidsaturation
What I mean is, looking at the picture and the description - 'You can also stack a second aperture disk on top of a special aperture disk to block part or all of the outer rings of holes' - it seems it's this outer ring of smaller holes in the disk installed in the soft focus lens that creates the softness. the central hole looks about the same area as the f4 - I'm confused as to how the softness is still there if a narrower aperture than f4 is stacked in. Is that disk further back into the optic than on the other optics, and what is the actual lens like?

I am going to make up a disk like the one that seems to be in the illustration of the soft focus optic, and see what effect it makes...

C

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 07, 2010 03:46AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

You don't need to use the special apertures to see the softness with this optic. They add an interesting effect to the background, but if you are shooting full frame macros, as I was with the roses above, there's no need to use the special apertures. For the orchids, I used one of the special apertures, with the f2.8 aperture disk stacked on top.

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by SKF March 07, 2010 08:33AM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Hi Kath,
Great set of images, the fourth is simply stunning. Great use of the SF - gonna have to get one.
Cheers

steve
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by Kath March 07, 2010 08:00PM reply | quote
posted by Kath

Thank you, Steve! I think you'd really enjoy the SF optic. :)

Kathleen

[www.ppsop.com]

Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by myrddhin March 08, 2010 03:10AM reply | quote
posted by myrddhin

Lovely shots
Re: Soft Focus Optic Macros posted by mathogre June 04, 2010 07:38AM reply | quote
posted by mathogre

I hope no one minds I'm responding to an older thread.

These are fantastic. I'm looking the Lensbaby seriously for the first time, and the Muse is what I'm considering at the moment. Thanks for sharing!

Graham, the Mathogre

Graham

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today