Lensbaby Studio Forums

The Sterling Hotel

Newer Topic | Older Topic

The Sterling Hotel posted by Keri (Admin) November 18, 2009 03:20AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

The Sterling Hotel was once a magnificent hotel in Wilkes-Barre, PA, near where I grew up. Wilkes-Barre thrived in the 1800s and the first half of the 1900s as a coal mining and railroad town. Like many towns built on old industries, it has struggled for several decades. There had been talk, and even some physical attempt, of restoring the Sterling over the last decade but nothing has come to fruition and I imagine that the cost to do so, at this point, has swelled beyond prohibitive. All images were shot with the Fisheye Optic.

See more of my work at [kerifriedman.com] or [www.flickr.com]
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by Keri (Admin) November 18, 2009 03:23AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

A few more from the Sterling...again, all shot with the Fisheye Optic.

Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by jad November 18, 2009 03:34AM reply | quote
posted by jad

Great images Keri, I bet those walls could really tell some stories. Nice series.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by ranfoto November 18, 2009 05:04AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Apts for rent ? Hee ! At the Sterling hotel?

Thanks Keri for the real estate tour......I bet those apts are a steal of a deal :))
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by RichB November 18, 2009 05:14AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Keri,

One can onlyu imagine what this hotel was like in its hay day! Nice images -- well captured with the FE.

Rich
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by MLedingham November 18, 2009 05:44AM reply | quote
posted by MLedingham

Wow, Keri, what INCREDIBLE shots! I love all of these and #6, in particular, in the first batch. That fish-eye just adds a really nice perspective here.

Best from Norway's Arctic,
Mark Ledingham

See me at [www.markledingham.com] and [fineartamerica.com] too!
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by Keri (Admin) November 18, 2009 07:01AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Thanks everyone! That apartments for rent sign has been up for as long as I can remember. My great grandfather did apparently rent an apartment there back in the 50s or 60s. They did rip everything out of the floors that used to have hotel rooms and apartments in them a while back, when they still thought they might renovate it, as they were riddled with asbestos.

Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by Kath November 18, 2009 07:15AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

A wonderful set of Fisheye images, Keri, #5 is heading to my favs. :)

Kathleen

www.kathleenclemonsphotography.com
[www.ppsop.com]

My blog: [kathleenclemons.blogspot.com]
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by Bob Layne November 18, 2009 10:21AM reply | quote
posted by Bob Layne
Great
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by brscrapper November 18, 2009 12:01PM reply | quote
posted by brscrapper

These are absolutely beautiful shots, Keri. How wonderful that you had a chance to get in and take them. I can picture how beautiful this hotel was in its heyday. I love the shot down the staircase. Thanks for sharing!

Beth
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by Keri (Admin) November 19, 2009 07:05AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Thanks again! It was amazing to be able to get in there and shoot. I think my boyfriend and I could have spent the entire day there shooting but the kind folks who granted us access and accompanied us couldn't take more than 3 hours in the cold and damp - don't blame them for that.

Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by picnic November 19, 2009 01:12PM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Wonderful set. Just a wonderful opportunity to shoot there. These may persuade me to buy the FE optic. I just got my Composer last night (had the LB 2.0) and ordered the Super Wide Angle--mainly so I could get wider FOV, but the FE (I have a 15 FE for my FF) gives an entirely different look.

I'd love to see a select set of these printed.
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by acsphoto November 19, 2009 11:23PM reply | quote
posted by acsphoto

I've heard about this place!! I would love to go! If you go again let me know!!! Great set of images!

Amanda Stevens

[www.FireTheCanon.com]
[www.Flickr.com]
[www.Twitter.com]
[www.FaceBook.com]
FireTheCanon@Me.com
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by Keri (Admin) November 20, 2009 08:03AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Do you live in PA, Amanda? It took a lot of finagling (involving my dad and several others, the mayor of Wilkes-Barre, and a Penn State game) to get in there, I doubt it would happen again but if it does for some reason I will let you know!

Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by ScottM November 20, 2009 10:19AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Keri you should see if you can set up a workshop type of deal for say 6 photographers at a time each paying some amount that would go to a fund to help preserve this wonderful place. I would try to attend (I'm in Calif.). Of course you should make some money from it also. I'm sure you would get a lot of interested photographers. By the way I also like your images, well done.
Scott
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by acsphoto November 21, 2009 12:50AM reply | quote
posted by acsphoto

I went to school in Bethlehem and used to live in Philadelphia...currently I live back at home which is right outside of Manhattan...but I'm ALWAYS down for a road trip if it involves an abandoned place or fun photos in general :)

Amanda Stevens

[www.FireTheCanon.com]
[www.Flickr.com]
[www.Twitter.com]
[www.FaceBook.com]
FireTheCanon@Me.com
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by shurla5 November 21, 2009 05:53AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

Love the lensbaby fish eye shots of this old hotel.
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by michel November 23, 2009 10:05PM reply | quote
posted by michel

Incredible shots. Love the color and mood.
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by TG-J (Admin) November 23, 2009 11:22PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Such beauty and sadness. tony.
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by mehrdad November 24, 2009 02:21PM reply | quote
posted by mehrdad

Love the entire set. Love to see them in B&W or sepia.

[mvartphoto.com]
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by oliver tudoras November 27, 2009 10:55PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

looks great.....cool stuff

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: The Sterling Hotel posted by igorsv November 28, 2009 10:15PM reply | quote
posted by igorsv

I assume it is not open for public so one needs to snick in. Such places are always treasures for photographers. You did a nice job with the lens.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today