Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

16 hours ago by barb

Re: getting started with lens baby

view post

question about filters with Composer

Newer Topic | Older Topic

question about filters with Composer posted by DavidF February 13, 2009 01:46AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

I have used the LB2 for years, and recently got the Composer lens. When focusing, the lens retracts back into the lens.

I'm wondering if I can still add 37mm filters--even stack a few together--and have enough room around the lens thread so the filters don't interfere with the focusing operation?

I also wonder about the wide-angle and telephoto lenses that are sold by LB: they are a bit flared at the front and again I wonder if this interferes with focusing the Composer as the lens retracts back?

Best, David
Re: question about filters with Composer posted by RichB February 13, 2009 02:09AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

The telephoto, wide angle, and macro lenses that Lensbaby sells as accessories all work without problem on the Composer from my experience (regarding the retracting of the lens).

Rich
Re: question about filters with Composer posted by DavidF February 13, 2009 02:20AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Thanks.

So I can use my existing filters--which are all larger than 37mm--I'm thinking of buying a few empty filter rings (which are made so you can put your own glass or filter in), stacking these so they are in front of the lens even when retracted. With this and a step up ring, I can then use my filters without having to buy a new one of each at 37mm size.

David
Re: question about filters with Composer posted by RichB February 13, 2009 05:18AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

I cannot say anything about your existing filters. My comments applied only to those sold directly by Lensbaby. I have bought some 37mm ND filters from another source that work fine with the Composer. I believe that Lensbaby accessories are all 37 mm threads to the Lensbaby lenses.

Rich
Re: question about filters with Composer posted by BARONDLA February 13, 2009 10:08PM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

With stacking rings and step up adapter it should work. Surprised that Lens Baby doesn't make an extension tube for the 3G/Composer. Would be nice to use all my filters. Haven't cobbled one together yet.
thanks
barondla
Re: question about filters with Composer posted by Craig (Admin) February 14, 2009 02:25AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

With the wide/telephoto lense you have a 46mm thread and can get a step up ring to 52 or whatever you want. Our 0.42x lens, coming out in a couple of weeks, has a 52mm filter thread but at that wide angle you are going to see vignetting even before you tilt on a full frame if you put a filter on this accessory lens.

From my response to Barondla's other post: "We've got a 37-52 hood and step up ring combo in the works. We're testing vignetting of our design now. Will keep you posted."

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: question about filters with Composer posted by fpangborn April 08, 2009 12:42AM reply | quote
posted by fpangborn
Hey Craig, any updates on the hood/step up ring combo?

I am dying to use my 77mm B+W ND 1000 for some long bent exposures...

With a 37mm->52mm step up for my Composer, I could put a 52mm-77mm step up ring on top of that and use the filter, though vignetting may be a concern then.

Forrest P · Seattle · Flickr

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today