Lensbaby Studio Forums

long exposures

Newer Topic | Older Topic

long exposures posted by Bill December 09, 2004 05:09AM reply | quote
posted by

I was bored durring a corporate shoot, I had just bought my Lensbaby and I wanted to take some long exposures in my hotel room. After a trip to Home Depot I was off taking pix.

Some examples attached...Bill

[www.billmarshphotography.com]
Re: long exposures posted by miladymarji December 09, 2004 05:24AM reply | quote
posted by
A lot of your pix are great.....good job...are using Canon camera?

Post Edited (12-12-04 01:30)
Re: long exposures posted by Bill December 09, 2004 10:32AM reply | quote
posted by
Acually I am a Nikon guy...and in my area that is pretty rare. I am currently using the D70

I bought plastic tubing at different legth that I cuy one end straight, which goes close to the body. The other end of the hose material is cut at an angle that I can swivel to get the exact sweet spot I like. The hosing cost me about $4.00. I am amazed how well it works...Bill

Re: long exposures posted by Craig (Admin) December 09, 2004 12:09PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Bill,

Photos of your contraption are required. Or should I say, please, post some shots of your setup.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: long exposures posted by Bill December 09, 2004 12:16PM reply | quote
posted by
I will post some images of the hosing shortly...Bill
Re: long exposures posted by MarcoF December 09, 2004 07:22PM reply | quote
posted by MarcoF

yeah, excellent shots, and I too am very interested in your hosing
(why does this sound rude all of a sudden ;-) )

Conceptual Art is overrated

[www.marcof.net]
Re: long exposures posted by DavidF December 13, 2004 12:06AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Yes, a picture of your set up would be great. When you say tubing, what is this? Is it a material that has some rigidity, so it stays put for a long shot?

David.
Re: long exposures posted by Matt B December 15, 2004 09:28AM reply | quote
posted by
I guess maybe I'm a bit confused by the term "long exposure." How does the hosing/setup you use with the camera work with a lensbaby (i.e. in what order are the pieces connected)?

Also, what effect does the added hosing have on the pictures and/or what benefit does the hosing offer?

Finally, how does the hosing create a "long exposure". I guess when I think long exposure I think of slowing down the shutter. I hope these questions don't sound to amateur-ish, but I recieved my D70 earlier this month and a lensbaby is waiting under my xmas tree (hey, even us big kids gotta peak sometimes) :) Just trying to understand some of the possibilities my newest toy will offer.

Thanks, Matt
Re: long exposures posted by andyfphoto December 16, 2004 02:34AM reply | quote
posted by
I have a portfolio-tube which is telescopic. It is basically two peices of plastic with a thread inside. Now if one could be made smaller, I.E. to fit inbetween the two parts of the 'baby, over the concertina plastic then theoretically one would be able to unscrew it thus pushing the front element out and holding it in position for long shots? As was mentioned it would have to be cut on the bias slighlty on the element end to allow the movement. I had a nightmare when my assistant went home early one day and I was shooting tethered..........that just can't happen......so maybe will try the hose trick......
Re: long exposures posted by Bill December 16, 2004 01:40PM reply | quote
posted by

Sorry for the delay in my posting. I have attached a folder of pix again. The last image shows the hosing I use for long expoures ie: not hand held.
I actually have five sections of hosing I use.
As I stated before. I was bored and I wanted to take some long exposure images. In the centre of the three hosing pieces you will notice the hose is split down the middle, this allows the hosing to snap over the barrel of the Lens Baby . One end fits beside your camera body. The angled end gives you the yaw and pitch you want. Rotating the hose lets you put the sweet spot where you want it.
To use the hosing, I hand hold my camera and determine the best length of hosing by composition, snap on a hose piece, put the camera on a tripod close to where I had composed the image and off I go. This allow me to drag the shutter, I will post more image w/ this technique...Bill

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today