Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 hour ago by stinamarie27

Playing in the rain

view post

LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW"

Newer Topic | Older Topic

LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jbrunjes January 12, 2009 12:41PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

The 14th competition is THROUGH THE WINDOW. This past summer my family traveled across the US from NC to CA and back in an RV. I drove most of the time but when I needed a break my wife drove and I stared out the window looking for lb opportunities.
"Through the Window" can be any window not just a moving vehicle like my examples. Inside looking out or outside looking in. Get creative and I look forward to your interpretation of the theme.

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the judge will decide if it works.
4. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 9pm EST (eastern) Monday January 19, 2009
*Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Good Luck!
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jbrunjes January 13, 2009 12:01AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

For more inspiration (JPG):
Through the Window
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jumpinjimmyjava January 13, 2009 03:03AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

I captured this snow blown scene early today while on the side of a rural road. Snow was blowing through the open window covering me and my camera! I never even bothered to try and get out of my warm cozy car! - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by saflower January 14, 2009 11:06AM reply | quote
posted by saflower

I took this shot while I was exploring the zoo today with my twins. There was a wonderful pigeon house and all the birds were sitting in their nests except this one. It would follow us as we walked by each window.

LB Muse
ISO 200
Speed 1/4000
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by peterb533 January 14, 2009 07:03PM reply | quote
posted by peterb533

From moving train looking at the Leigh-on-Sea marina just before sunset.
LB Composer
F4 ISO 100
Canon 5D Mk2
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by WilliamE January 15, 2009 11:36AM reply | quote
posted by WilliamE

This is Bristol, the kitten we rescued this past week.
Canon 5D, LB 3G, ISO 200, f4.0, 1/100th sec.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by SKF January 16, 2009 11:32AM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Who is that ?

Nikon D300
LB 3 G
ISO 400
Ap. F 2.8
1/60 sec.

steve
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by Halima67 January 16, 2009 12:21PM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

Found on my window this morning! Yes, it's that cold!
Canon EOS Rebel XT
LB2.0 + macro
no aperture
1/4000

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 12:23PM by Halima67.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jbrunjes January 19, 2009 02:33AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Last call for entries... Competition ends tonight at 9pm EST.
Joby
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jad January 19, 2009 07:36AM reply | quote
posted by jad

I shot this through the window to the deck. This is Starbuck. He will run from this window to the next trying to herd me back and forth. It's a weird little game we play. Thanks for the competition. Something fun to think about. The white spots are snow and then there is the dog slobber on the window.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 07:37AM by jad.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by btrancho January 19, 2009 08:50AM reply | quote
posted by btrancho

My studio window - Composer, plastic optic

Trancho Photography - [bobtrancho.viewbook.com]
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jbrunjes January 19, 2009 11:04AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Contest closed... results to follow soon.
Joby
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jbrunjes January 19, 2009 01:14PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Great entries everyone! I think I definitely prefer to be a competitor than a judge. Here goes...
And the winner is..............

SKF - WHO IS THAT?

I really like the spooky silhouette. The old window and lighting set up a great mood.

Jumpin Jimmy - I liked the simplicity and your daring to risk equipment for the sake of a shot. I am trying to get used to your "crooked horizon" style.

Saflower - Like the treatment. The vignetting makes the pigeon stand out.

Peterb - Extra points for trying a shot while moving. I found that I had to shoot almost perpendicular to the direction I was traveling to exclude the cropping of the window. I am jealous of your 5d mk2.

William E - My wife's favorite. Cute Kitty. Great placement of the sweet spot. Nice B&W conversion. I was looking for more emphasis on what was seen through the window.

Halima - Nice idea... It needs a sharp sweet spot to be more effective.

Jad - Nice placement of sweet spot. On overcast days I either oversaturate or convert to B&W. The slobber made me smile. We finally get to see snow here (NC) tomorrow!

Btrancho - Now that I have tried it some, I really like the effect of the plastic optic. I was looking for more emphasis on what was seen through the window.

Hope this helps. SKF please select a new theme.
Joby
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by SKF January 19, 2009 03:18PM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Joby,

WOW ! - I am very excited to have been selected the winner with such strong competition, thank you for choosing my image. I really need to thank my eight year old daughter Brooke who posed patiently in that derelict house with spiders and who knows what else crawling and slithering about in the low light and the rest of my family who came for the ride, holding flashes etc.

A new theme will be posted as soon as I come up with one.

Thanks to all and

Cheers

steve
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jad January 19, 2009 08:11PM reply | quote
posted by jad

Thanks for the words Joby, I am going to make the image BW and see how it looks. Maybe the slobber will look better in BW. Where are you in NC. I'm near Asheville and live on a mountain and we got about 3" of snow yesterday. Hopefully you will get some good shots in the snow.

Congrats Steve. It is a great image and is definitely spooky. Nice treatment and composition. Looking forward to the next challenge.

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jbrunjes January 20, 2009 05:21AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

I live in Wilmington but was in Clinton, SC for a concert. Asheville is an awesome area. Wilmington got a dusting today. I drove in snow all the way home today.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #14 "THROUGH THE WINDOW" posted by jumpinjimmyjava January 21, 2009 09:49AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

Hey Steve congrats on you win. Well done. It was great to see so many wonderful entries. It was a great theme - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today