Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

4 hours ago by Bender

Re: Elements Study (water)

view post

NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric"

Newer Topic | Older Topic

NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by DarkSlide December 17, 2008 12:44PM reply | quote
posted by DarkSlide

The ELEVENTH challenge, #11, is "Alpha and or Numeric" . Lets see some numbers or letters. An old sign, a modern slick building or maybe automobile, or maybe something found in nature. Just as long as it has, or seems to have, a number(s) or letter(s) in the shot. I give "jbrunjes" credit for getting my wheels spinning on this one!

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the judge will decide if it works.
4. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!
8. Don't be afraid to dig out that cow bell.

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 9pm EST (eastern) THURSDAY DECEMBER 25th., 2008 - Christmas day (Yep, you get a little extra time on this - Happy Holidays). Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.
106 Cubic Inches posted by Darrell Marquette December 17, 2008 01:13PM reply | quote
posted by Darrell Marquette

Nikon D70, Composer, f2.8, ISO 200.
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by jumpinjimmyjava December 18, 2008 05:06AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

"TODAY"
“Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday”

Lensbaby 2.0 no aperture installed

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by jbrunjes December 19, 2008 09:20PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

"Shooting Star"

Canon 1d Mk3
LB 3G
F4?
ISO 100
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by ScottM December 22, 2008 10:32AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

STOP
canon 40d, LB3G
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by shurla5 December 24, 2008 02:05AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

1 Hour Cleaning
Composer
f 4
ISO 100
1/80th

Oops forgot to attach file, ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 02:07AM by shurla5.
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" - WINNER posted by DarkSlide December 25, 2008 11:36AM reply | quote
posted by DarkSlide

Ok, tough one for me. Last challenge was only my second entry, and my first ever win, so this is my first time judging.

So, brutally honest... and honestly, they are all great.

Second and third are a toss up for me. Scott's STOP sign is nice, the grunge works well and the composition is very good. Jumpin's watch is beautiful. I think Jumpin has either shot timepieces, or has paid attention when looking at other commercial shots. 10 and 2 is "the way" to shoot these, as they are "up" and "happy", at least that's what I was taught in school. The color and softness is romantic.

I'm going to have to give first place to jbrunjes and his "Shooting Star". What caught my eye, even in the thumbnail, is the metallic feel to the image. Being someone that loved to print in the darkroom, trying to convey this silvery feel is hard. Honestly, I am a little distracted by the background, the building and the chimney, but overall I love this.

I think Derrell took the idea out of the box the best. A "V" twin engine. Great! And, I have to say I love the sign shurla5 shot. I have a thing for signs, and I could see this being a outstanding image, and the winner here. I love the letter "H" that is falling off the sign, but for me at least, I need to be closer and have a little better exposure for the sign. I know what you are up against here, that bright sky. Opening the exposure for the sign itself would have taken the sky way out of range, that's why I'd love to be closer to the sign (maybe a little angle to introduce tension into the shot?), but still work in that wonderful architecture of the buidling in the upper right corner.

Happy holidays to everyone!
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by jbrunjes December 26, 2008 04:17AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Awesome! Thanks DarkSlide... I agree about the background but there was no good angle for the shot that I wanted. I hoped that the lb bokeh would make it tolerable. I will post a new theme soon... Congrats to the other entries... The entries lately have been very strong!

Joby
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by shurla5 December 26, 2008 04:33AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

Congratulations Joby - great job.

Darkslide - I really do apreciate the details on how I can
make my images better, thx much
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by jumpinjimmyjava December 26, 2008 10:16AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

Hey Darkside, great job of judging. It is a very difficult task. Congrats Joby on your win, well done. Merry Christmas to all - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by DarkSlide December 26, 2008 11:18AM reply | quote
posted by DarkSlide

jumpinjimmyjava
Hey Darkside, great job of judging. It is a very difficult task.

I'll say! Everyone's stuff is great!
Re: NEW - LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #11 Theme "Alpha and or Numeric" posted by ScottM December 26, 2008 11:18AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Congrats Joby I too like your image. Merry xmas everyone.
Scott

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today