Latest Post

42 minutes ago by Terri

Re: November walk

view post

Gift for a photograper?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Gift for a photograper? posted by Flo December 01, 2008 12:40PM reply | quote
posted by Flo
It seems that a lensbaby would make a great xmas gift for my photographer dad. I usually just get him a toy camera but something he could actually use with his SLR would be nice.

The only problem is that he is getting older and his hands shake, would he have a problem operating the muse? It looks like it requires a good amount of dexterity to use properly. Should I get the composer? (it seems more stable).

Also, I have seen many people try and emulate this effect in photoshop. It seems to look better though through an actual skewed lens. Is there a good reason for this or do some people just suck at photoshop?
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by janikphoto December 01, 2008 01:08PM reply | quote
posted by janikphoto

photoshop can only do so much. I think you should always do as much as you can when you snap the picture, and then use photoshop to finish things up. Don't rely on photoshop to do EVERYTHING on the back end...
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by ScottM December 01, 2008 02:10PM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

The composer is the easiest to use and might be best for your dad. If its too expensive look for a used 3G on ebay or maybe some camera dealers will still have some available.
Scott
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by CMH December 01, 2008 02:28PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

i'm fortunate to own every lens LB makes. if focusing and stability are a priority, i'd really recommend the composer. the fact that it offers the optic system is a real plus, too. lots of options coupled with the ability to get a really strong focus.
yes - some of the "look" can be achieved in PS, but, to me at least, it's just not the same. nothing like the real thing...
just my two cents; good luck w/your decision!
(and what a lucky dad!) :)
cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by ndroo December 01, 2008 03:41PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Yup, I'd recommend the Composer too. I can't wait til my son grows up to buy me toys like these! haha!

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by jWebb December 02, 2008 01:11AM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

Flo,
I suffer from an inherited palsy which means my hands shake a lot and gets worse with age. Your dad will be able to use the Muse without much difficulty. However, if you really love your dad you'll buy him the Composer : ) It does offer a lot of control and is easier to use (for everyone).
Jack
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by Flo December 02, 2008 01:16AM reply | quote
posted by Flo
Thanks for the replies.

Also I have read that some nikons have trouble metering with the lensbaby? He has a D300, will he at least be able to use the built in light meter?

I do love him allot, but for the composer price he has a few nikkor lenses on his B&H wishlist. Specifically, he wants to upgrade his 50mm prime f1.8 to a f1.4.

Now I always say the best gifts are unexpected, and getting something completely different is much more fun than a slightly better version of what you already have. Plus I want to play around with it on christmas morning :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 01:31AM by Flo.
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by Jack Howard December 02, 2008 02:37AM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

There's a 30-day return policy on Lensbaby products. Check with Sam, Kirsten and the team to see if it is an expanded return period during the holiday season.

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Check out my new book! (2nd Edition now Available!)
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by BearWoodsDavid December 02, 2008 11:18AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

The metering will work fine with the D300. Your dad is very lucky to have someone as thoughtful as you Flo. I know if it were me I would appreciate it especially if it were unexpected. He sounds like he is a creative man and will enjoy it. Please encourage him to post some of his images on the forum too.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by Ash December 02, 2008 11:48AM reply | quote
posted by Ash

Sounds like the Composer would be best choice, if his hands aren't that steady - I love my LB 2.0 (Muse minus the interchangeable optics option), but it takes some getting used to, as well sound hands, and/or a tripod).
My best friend Odd gave me his 2.0 after acquiring a Composer and optics kit, and he's shooting LB everywhere now - except for work he shoots almost nothing else. Odd has had issues with shaky hands ever since the fire, but loves the Composer for the ease of use, and it is a great lens, esp with additional optics.
Whatever you get him, your father is quite lucky- he could be getting a Starbucks gift card ;-D (Kidding).

(P.S. Some people really do suck at photoshop)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 11:50AM by Ash.
Re: Gift for a photograper? posted by Flo December 03, 2008 05:02AM reply | quote
posted by Flo
Well I went ahead and ordered the Muse with double glass optics (from B&H, they have extended holiday returns/exchanges). If he has too much trouble with it he can upgrade. Thanks for all the help! Can't wait to play with it. :)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today