Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

13 hours ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by David Pitcher October 15, 2008 08:15AM reply | quote
posted by David Pitcher

Does any know what the filter size is for the front elements of the Wide Angle and Telephoto adapters are? I would like purchase ND filters to use with these adapters but am unable locate/identify the front element thread size.
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by Mike Bokeh October 15, 2008 08:24AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

I pulled the lens caps off both the tele and wide lens attachments, and they both had the number 48 printed next to the thread size symbol. (a circle with a line through it at about a 45 degree angle)

So I guess they're both 48mm.

Mike

Lensbabies make you think.
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by David Pitcher October 15, 2008 08:58AM reply | quote
posted by David Pitcher

Thanks Mike!

Never occured to me to look on the inside of the plastic lens cap. :)
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by BARONDLA October 15, 2008 09:20AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

They are 46mm. Have a Cokin adapter for them. Think 48mm is the outside of the lens dimensions.
thanks
barondla
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by chichichar October 15, 2008 09:20AM reply | quote
posted by chichichar

noooo !!!! the thread size is 46mm !!! dont make the same mistake i made :P the 48mm is for the outer ring thread size, so inside is 46mm. Please ask craig or kristen to confirm this.

chichichar

" fake it till you make it "
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by jessicab (Admin) October 15, 2008 09:21AM reply | quote
posted by jessicab

Hello,

Good guess Mike, but the thread size for the front element of Lensbaby Wide Angle and Telephoto Accessories is actually 46mm. The "48" refers to the size of the cap itself.

Jessica
Lensbaby Customer Happiness Team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 09:23AM by jessicab.
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by Mike Bokeh October 15, 2008 09:29AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

jessicab
Hello,

Good guess Mike, but the thread size for the front element of Lensbaby Wide Angle and Telephoto Accessories is actually 46mm. The "48" refers to the size of the cap itself.

Jessica
Lensbaby Customer Happiness Team

I knew all along it was 46mm, and not 48mm.

I was just testing you all! {:^D

And now onto our history lesson, taught by me.

The war of 1812 originally started in 1796...

Thanks, everyone.

Mike ;)
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by BearWoodsDavid October 15, 2008 10:43AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I agree with the 46mm, I have been using 46mm filters on them for a while.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by Fugazi October 15, 2008 07:57PM reply | quote
posted by Fugazi

So, I like to make use of this topic to (re)ask an 'older' question of me.
This because I want to be sure not to waste money unnecessarily ...
Here it comes :

Hi, I was wondering if I could use my ND -filters (67mm) with my (old) 3G. So in the FAQ they advice to "buy two 37mm spacers for the front of the Lensbaby 3G and then screw your step up ring to the front of the spacers."

So, I need 2 37mm spacers and then a step up ring 37mm --> 67mm. I guess I will need at least 2 step up rings to 'cover' the 'range' (37-67) ? What will be the result ? Will I see these rings on the photo (because there will be a 'pile' of rings on the 3G) ?
Any ideas or experience ?

Thanks, Marc.
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by David Pitcher October 16, 2008 08:37AM reply | quote
posted by David Pitcher

Thanks for all the assistance everyone. Now as soon as B&H opens back up I should have a couple of step up ring adapters on the way to work with my existing ND filters and get to try some wide angle long exposures. :)
Re: Wide Angle and Telephoto Thread Size posted by ranfoto October 16, 2008 05:14PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Marc: It's my feeling that since you're just adding filters to space that larger 67mm filter out about a half inch or so you'll be fine if you don't extremely Bend the Lensbaby .

I use very wideangle conversion lenses that hang the front element way out in front, sure you can catch some vignetting into view but you can see it and correct it.......it's just the nature of Bending .....go for it !

Would I guide you wrong ? Hee !

It's easy to check just hold your 67mm out in front and Bend the LB back and forth .....it you need a spacer for this simple test use a 35mm film canister .....cut the lid out and trim the canister to see where any significant vignetting occurs ......the lid will fit snuggley into the 37mm threads ......use some gaffer tape and you probably don't even need any adapters ......it won't look too kewl, but then this is Bending ......and Bending is always very kewl ......:)))

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today