Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 hours ago by jffoto

On the other side

view post

LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN"

Newer Topic | Older Topic

LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by ScottM October 13, 2008 11:57AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

We are all looking for inspiration and competitions seem to get the creative juices flowing. On another site they have a weekly challenge on a set theme. The winner gets to judge the following week. Here are the rules. Hope this catches on. I will be the judge and the winner will set the next week's theme and then be the judge for that theme. Please hold comments until after the winner is announced.

The second challenge, #2, is "Urban." Post your best urban image. Use your imagination, playgrounds, buildings, junk cars etc.

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the judge will decide if it works.
4. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 9pm EST (eastern) Monday October 20, 2008. Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2008 01:59PM by ScottM.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by jumpinjimmyjava October 14, 2008 09:48AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

Circa 1860 Victorian mansion. Once so proud now wasting away with time! Shown are the frost cracks in the cast iron porch pillars. Hope you enjoy this creation - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Keithnc October 14, 2008 12:15PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

An old church with a highrise corporate center being built across the street.

Nikon D200, 3G, f2.0
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Owen Wong October 15, 2008 04:46AM reply | quote
posted by Owen Wong

Urban snapshot of City of Bath, England

Nikon D70, Lensbaby 2G, 1/800s
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Duh_Vinci October 16, 2008 08:48PM reply | quote
posted by Duh_Vinci

Old train station in VA

Pentax K100D, Lensbaby 2.0, f2.8 1/4000s

Regards,
D
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by kudzu October 17, 2008 06:34AM reply | quote
posted by kudzu

Graffiti in an alley, Knoxville, Tennessee.

Increased saturation by +50 and ran "poster edges" filter in Photoshop.

Nikon D-70, LBO, f/4, ISO 400.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Virpeen October 17, 2008 09:14PM reply | quote
posted by Virpeen

A theater with a mirror fa├žade, Dole, France.

Canon EOS 30D, Lenbaby 2.0, f2,8 1/3200s, ISO 125.

----------------------
My website : [www.virpeen.com]... or my flickr : [flickr.com]
Slow Day at Work posted by jbrunjes October 17, 2008 10:40PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

"Slow Day at Work"
3G
f2.8
1/2000th
ISO 100
Re: LENSBABY Speed Challenge #2 "URBAN" posted by jbrunjes October 17, 2008 10:45PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

The question has come up:
"Can I change or edit my photo once it has been posted?"
My feelings on the matter is that the photo that is posted at the expiration of the challenge will be the one that is judged. So... edits and reposts are allowed as long as we stick to the 1 photo per person rule. We can discuss this more at the end of this challenge.

Joby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 10:50PM by jbrunjes.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by ScottM October 18, 2008 01:18AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Thats a good question about changing a photo. Some might think that after seeing other posts that their image isn't as good and therefore wish they could change theirs. Which I would say is unfair. But this challenge is for fun and learning, Joby started this and I think he should make the final decision on rules.
Scott
Small Town Guardian posted by Va girl October 18, 2008 01:46AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

This was taken in the small town that I now work in. This statue is in front of the historic courthouse building.

3G on the Canon 5D ISO 100 1/200 sec exposure F2 (i think)

Pam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2008 01:48AM by Va girl.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by jbrunjes October 18, 2008 01:55AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Scott... I agree with your comments...
I guess it can be up to the weekly judge to make those decisions.
I does not matter to me.
Joby
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by ScottM October 18, 2008 02:15AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Joby I'm going to say for this challenge to leave the original post. Future challenges the judge can decide what he/she wants to do. I think maybe I picked a tough subject and people might have been confused.
Scott
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by kmac October 19, 2008 01:04AM reply | quote
posted by kmac

LBO open - Cornell U. campus - New York
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Captured Light October 19, 2008 10:22AM reply | quote
posted by Captured Light

A little Infrared, small town urban, anybody??

Sony-A100, LB3G, IR Filter, .6 sec

Thanks for looking!

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2008 10:23AM by Captured Light.
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by peterb533 October 19, 2008 07:32PM reply | quote
posted by peterb533

View from my office window of Canary Wharf, London

3G, f8, Canon 10D IR conversion
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by ScottM October 20, 2008 10:07AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Thanks everyone for submitting to this challenge. Hope it wasn't too tough of a theme.

The winner is:
1st place Duh-Vinci. Nice composition and treatment.
2nd place Kudzu. Great color and reflects our urban world today.
3rd place Rick. nice small town urban and love the infrared treatment.

Look forward to seeing what the next challenge will be.
Scott
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by jumpinjimmyjava October 21, 2008 02:36AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

Congrats Duh-Vinci Kudzu and Rick. All great pics, well done - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by jbrunjes October 21, 2008 03:13AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Congrats to the winners.
Joby
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by ScottM October 21, 2008 09:18AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Duh_Vinci you are the winner so now you get to pick the new theme. Copy and paste the rules with the necessary changes and lets keep this going.
Congrats, Scott
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Captured Light October 21, 2008 10:40AM reply | quote
posted by Captured Light

Wow! Thanks! What a great group of entries!
Re: LENSBABY SPEED CHALLENGE #2 "URBAN" posted by Duh_Vinci October 21, 2008 10:43AM reply | quote
posted by Duh_Vinci

Thank you all for participation and sharing your work, always a pleasure and inspiration!!!

New weekly challenge is up, hope you have fun with the new theme!

Regards,
D

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today