Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 days ago by jffoto

Re: Tulipmania

view post

First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by sam September 23, 2008 02:30PM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi everyone,

Please visit PopPhoto.com's review of Lensbaby to see the first and freshest review of the new Lensbaby line!

Thanks Jack!!!

see with the eyes of a child

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 02:30PM by sam.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by ndroo September 23, 2008 03:01PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Cool!

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by noelleong2000 September 24, 2008 01:14AM reply | quote
posted by noelleong2000

Will like to get one soon. Not sure when it will ship to Singapore.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Sergej September 24, 2008 03:02AM reply | quote
posted by Sergej

No offense, but I would not call that a review, more like an enhanced press release.

Lot of talk about the 'vintage' LB line, and did I see the expression 'FrankenLens 3G'?

Mentions the optic swap system couple of times; where's the visuals?

More real life sample images would have been nice, especially for the different optics?

Popphoto-dot-com - you can do better than that.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by sam September 24, 2008 05:45AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Well, maybe it's not a review by some definition but Jack hit a lot of very important highlights about the new line and delivered a lot of very useful information to his audience. I always appreciate candor, from him and you.

Sam

see with the eyes of a child

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 05:45AM by sam.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Keri (Admin) September 24, 2008 07:11AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Let me also add this review from Mike Pasini at imaging-resource:

[www.imaging-resource.com]
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by shurla5 September 24, 2008 08:46AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

Great new addition

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 08:52AM by shurla5.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by ndroo September 24, 2008 05:39PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

noelleong2000
Will like to get one soon. Not sure when it will ship to Singapore.

Was told that if ordering online, they'll ship in like 4 to 6 weeks. Else we'll hafta wait til Cathay photo places an order for them. Gettin online is a faster way I think ... hehehe ... does the free shipping apply to us in Singapore too?

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Unni September 24, 2008 06:15PM reply | quote
posted by Unni

Can we use the old telelens, wide angle and macrokit for the new Composer?

Unni
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Craig (Admin) September 25, 2008 01:27AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Hi Unni,

Yes, all of the old accessories work with the new line.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Sergej September 25, 2008 04:17PM reply | quote
posted by Sergej

The imaging resource review is a little beefier and has a lot more visuals and sample shots. Thanks for posting Keri.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Unni September 25, 2008 08:48PM reply | quote
posted by Unni

Thanks Craig.
I think you did an excellent job when you invented the Lensbaby, and the new line is just amazing.
I have ordred the Composer, plus the single glass optic :-)

Unni
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by oliver tudoras September 26, 2008 02:43PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

you are really creative guys....congratulation and thanks :)

ollie
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by noelleong2000 September 28, 2008 08:37PM reply | quote
posted by noelleong2000

Cathay charged a premium for lensbaby. Maybe I should buy online and pay for shipping.
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by DoubleWah September 29, 2008 01:24AM reply | quote
posted by DoubleWah
I'm very very tempted to splash out on the new composer to get into the whole optics thing! The pinhole/zone plate option is particularly intriguing, but I'm wondering how easy it is to use, and this isn't something the reviews discuss so far... Forgive my ignorance, but how much is visible through the pinhole in particular when setting up a shot? Basically, can you see anything through the viewfinder at f/177?

Also, is it the case that focussing won't make a difference with pinhole or zone plate? (This would certainly make things a lot easier in low light :-)

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment about this!

Simon
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by Keri (Admin) September 29, 2008 09:38AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Hi Simon. As you might imagine, it is hard to see much through the tiny f/177 opening. However, in bright yet even light, you can actually see a bit - enough to help with composition, in my experience. That being said, focusing doesn't matter with the pinhole - it will be the same degree of sharpness from end to end, no matter what you do with the focusing ring. So - there is certainly some trial and error involved, but having done old-school pinhole photography with homemade cameras and film, this is a breeze. It is easier to see some with the zone plate opening, since it is f/19. Focusing can make a bit of a difference with the zone plate, but overall it's still such a soft image that I haven't really found myself futzing with the focus that much. I hope this is helpful, if you have any other questions let me know.

See more of my work at [kerifriedman.com] or [www.flickr.com]
Re: First review of the Composer from PopPhoto.com! posted by ndroo September 29, 2008 04:56PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Keri
Hi Simon. As you might imagine, it is hard to see much through the tiny f/177 opening. However, in bright yet even light, you can actually see a bit - enough to help with composition, in my experience. That being said, focusing doesn't matter with the pinhole - it will be the same degree of sharpness from end to end, no matter what you do with the focusing ring. So - there is certainly some trial and error involved, but having done old-school pinhole photography with homemade cameras and film, this is a breeze. It is easier to see some with the zone plate opening, since it is f/19. Focusing can make a bit of a difference with the zone plate, but overall it's still such a soft image that I haven't really found myself futzing with the focus that much. I hope this is helpful, if you have any other questions let me know.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

fUzzYeYebAlls

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today