Lensbaby Studio Forums

Stay Put Lensbaby

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Stay Put Lensbaby posted by jefirus November 18, 2004 05:57AM reply | quote
posted by jefirus

First off I just received my lensbaby and already know it's going to be very useful in expressing my creative vision. Someone in another post said, "I think it is the way I see the world." Literally our eyes have a sweet spot in the middle, leaving our peripheral vision blurry. I think that is why the images made with the lensbaby are so appealing. They speak to the unconscious mind and the heart.

However my reason for posting is to ask if you are developing a lensbaby that stays in the position you place it in. You focus the lensbaby, move the sweet spot, let the lensbaby go and it stays. It would be nice to trigger my camera's shutter release remotely while maybe placing a filter in front of the lensbaby. I would imagine that a "hands-off" lensbaby would probably be more expensive though.

I know it is not likely, but am I the first person to request the hands-off feature?

"So far, this is the oldest I have ever been"
Re: Stay Put Lensbaby posted by Craig (Admin) November 18, 2004 08:26AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Jerome,

Thanks for your input.

I too find myself in the occasional situation where, rather than needing rapid, on-the-fly adjustments to both tilt and focus, I want something I can fine-tune and repeat. This will most likely necessitate a completely different experience than the Original Lensbaby which adds a lot of fun to picture taking once the initial learning curve has made something foreign into a familiar, intuitive way to focus and tilt simultaneously.

Nothing to offer you at this point in time but a future generation Lensbaby may fit the bill.

Have a beautiful day.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Stay Put Lensbaby posted by DavidF December 01, 2004 04:20AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Craig, I've envisioned a set-up with two metal plates and 3-4 long bolts with wing-nuts (not to mention a trip to the hardware store and use of my friend's drill press), but haven't really wanted to bring this to pass just yet. :>)

all the best to you and your wife and family.

David
Re: Stay Put Lensbaby posted by Craig (Admin) December 01, 2004 09:07AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

David,

That's a very interesting vision. I've thought about an add-on brace but have ruled out wingnuts. Sounds intimidating. Like a brace for a broken neck.

I think that this version of the Lensbaby will continue to live a long, bouncity life as a quick focus (once you get the hang of it) selective focus lens and other lenses will fill in the gap for those of us who want something to hold it's position. Not ruling out a brace but can't think of an easy way to do it that would make a Lensbaby more useable for long exposures and in situations where one wants to repeat results ad naseum.

I'd like to see one of these braces made so keep us posted if you get inspired to put something together.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Stay Put Lensbaby posted by DavidF December 01, 2004 11:39PM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Thanks Craig. I have tried LB on long exposures (over 1 sec.) on a tripod and hand-holding. Obviously with mixed results. I may someday attempt the plates/wing nuts experiment, but right now I'm in no hurry to change the LB.

PS - spent Thanksgiving at Seal Beach, just above Walport on the coast.

Regards, David.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today