Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

16 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

LB problem with Nikon N65

Newer Topic | Older Topic

LB problem with Nikon N65 posted by prabu.venkat November 16, 2004 01:48PM reply | quote
posted by
Hello,

I am from Bangalore, India. I had purchased a Nikon F-mount LB (in August
2004) through a friend of mine who was returning from the US. Due to his
project delays he arrived at Bangalore only this week.

When I mount the LB on my Nikon N65, I find that it *DOES NOT* get into a
*FULLY LOCKED* position. I get "F - -" on the camera body error display.
I have not been able to use the LB at all, as a result.

Is there anything that I can do about it ? I love the LB and definitely want
to own it.

Also, in my case, the delay has been extremely unfortunate -- my friend's
stay got extended unavoidably.

Please let me know,

thanx in advance,

;-p r a b u!
Re: LB problem with Nikon N65 posted by prabu.venkat November 16, 2004 02:40PM reply | quote
posted by
Hello,

Here is the ordering information:

Order #375320
Date: 08-31-2004 20:14:32

Do let me know..

thanx in advance,

;-p r a b u!

Post Edited (11-17-04 22:39)
Re: LB problem with Nikon N65 posted by Craig (Admin) November 17, 2004 01:38AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Prabu,

Not sure what could be keeping your lens from locking onto your N65. Does it lock in place on other Nikon camera bodies (assuming you have access to other Nikon cameras)?

Before you mount your lensbaby on an F3, 2002, F4 or FA camera body (all of which have a secondary pin which conflicts with an earlier Nikon mount version than we are currently selling), I have a couple questions about which version of the Lensbaby Nikon mount you have:

What color is the dot?
Is there a screw in the mount to keep it from turning too far?
What is the serial number (if any) on the focusing collar?

Regarding the error, is your camera on manual exposure mode? I suspect it is not. Only on manual mode will the shutter fire. Also, since you do not have electronics in your lens and that is how your camera determines what aperture your lens is at, you will not have a display of the aperture visible on your camera's LCD. Instead it will read "F--" or some variation of this.

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: LB problem with Nikon N65 posted by prabu.venkat November 17, 2004 04:46AM reply | quote
posted by
Dear Craig,

Thanx for the reply. I was doing a bit of r&d and suddenly I remembered
that your "buy me" site reads: "note: the LB does not communicate
electronically with your camera".

I found that even if the lensbaby does not lock fully with the N65 bayonet,
I was able to fire the shutter open in the "fully Manual" mode. Since I do
not have a digital camera, I have to wait till the wash for uploading any
"result" with this ¸nlocked configuration of the LB.

Meanwhile, I found that it locks perfectly with my Tamron 2x converter.

Here are the answers to your questions:

- it has a *white* dot.
- there is *no* screw on the mount
- there is *no* serial number on the focusing collar

I am interested in knowing which version of LB I am having (just to know
about my equipment).

Aside, I think Lensbabies are one of the most creative tools I have run into
and possess. I dunno know if I can convey it properly-- I think it *is* the
way _I_ see the world -- the subject takes a "dramatic" importance in a
scene/situation for me, relegating *everything else* to a blurry obscurity.
Though larger apertures sort of did the job for me this long, I felt "arrived"
only when I ran into Lensbabies ... zillion thanx, Craig.

I do hope that my "operational" problems get resolved soon !
I will post my results as soon as they are ready..

;-p r a b u!
Re: LB problem with Nikon N65 posted by Craig (Admin) November 17, 2004 07:58AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Prabu,

Your mount, as far as the version goes, should have no effect on whether it mounts properly on your N65.

It is odd that it mounts on your teleconverter but not your camera body. Makes me continue to wonder if it will mount on another Nikon body which would seem to indicate an issue with you N65's locking mechanism. Quite a few Lensbaby users are having good success using their Lensbabies with N65 camera bodies.

Three versions of the Nikon mount are out and about

1. The first has a silver dot and no screw in the mount, this version works fine with all Nikon F-mount lenses with the exception of the F4, N2000, N2002, FA and F3 camera bodies (if you see a second pin near the lens locking pin on your camera body, it will have a conflict with this, first version of the Nikon Lensbaby if your over-rotate when mounting/removing your Lensbaby) where it is possible to get it stuck on the AIS sensing pin by rotating past the locking pin. *

2. The second Nikon mount Lensbaby version has a silver dot and a screw in the mount to keep it from over-rotating.

3. The third and current version has a red dot and, while it has no screw to keep it from over-rotating, over-rotating does not create a problem on those older film bodies with an AIS sensing pin as the slot is not long enough to engage the AIS sensing pin.

Glad you have found a lens that matches your perspective of the world. When you get some images scanned please post some here.

Have a super day.

-Craig

* Anyone with the first version who is concerned about using an older film body with an AIS sensing pin (F4, N2000, N2002, FA and F3) please send your Lensbaby in so we can exchange your mount.

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today