Lensbaby Studio Forums

WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring

Newer Topic | Older Topic

WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by RHWeiner July 21, 2008 03:00PM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Having just bought the 3G I was rooting around on my desk and found 3 filters that my neighbour had 'gifted' me. Unfortunately they are all 36mm threads...and the 3G is threaded for 37mm filters. I've done a quick Google search but haven't come across any step down rings (I've seen step up rings...but that doesn't help).

I'm posting this on the offhand chance someone may have come across one of these 37 to 36 step down rings?

Thanks,
Richard

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by ranfoto July 22, 2008 05:31PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

There might not be such a thing, but maybe you could pinch down a tad on a 37mm cheapy filter to make an adapter to fit these gifts.

You need a friend with a lathe to just make you an adapter or go on ebay to see what's available.....three cheapy filters and some glue would also work around the problem on the 3G as it needa a bit of spacing out anyway of the add ons .
Re: WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by BARONDLA July 23, 2008 11:19AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Not sure I have ever seen this step down combo. In macro photography we often make our own male to male thread adpters to stack a lens backwards on the front of another. Buy Cokin A series 36 & 37 adapter rings. Turn the outer one so the threads point out. Glue or screw the two flat flanges together. This requires you to mount the filter "backwards". With most filters this doesn't matter! The 3G will make this tougher since the rods stick out past the filter. Think LB makes an extension for this.
Another idea is to take a 36 - bigger than 37 step up adapter, invert it on top of a 37 filter ring (no glass) and glue them together. This will also require using the filter reversed. At least it would fit between rods of 3G. Hope this makes sense.
thanks
barondla
Re: WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by schocreative July 24, 2008 10:46AM reply | quote
posted by schocreative

Barondla,

Try this link [stores.ebay.com]. I had ordered several step up rings (for enlarger lenses) and they were fast and the price was right. Let me know what you think. Type 37mm step down ring in the search bar on the left side.

Cindy
Re: WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by Craig (Admin) July 24, 2008 03:01PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'd put a wrap or two of a thin strip of electrical tape around the 36mm filter's male threads. This should get you in the right ballpark for threading the tape into the 3Gs threads.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by RHWeiner July 24, 2008 03:40PM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Why didn't I think of that? The other suggestions were good too but this is classic "Red Green" thinking...

If it should move and it doesn't...WD40
If it shouldn't move and it does...Duct Tape

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Oh and by the way, those filters?...well, this is them...
1) UV
2) Circular Polarizer
3) ND8
All 3 by Cokin

So...you can see why I wanted to keep these for the LB. I probably could save myself a lot of headache by finding these in a 37 thread but...they were free, and I do *so* love that word, "Free".

:) Richard

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: WTB - 37 to 36 step down ring posted by BARONDLA July 27, 2008 11:20AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Schocreative, thanks for the website. It has lots of useful adapters.
thanks
barondla

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today