Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

9 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Fisheye Star Trails

view post

BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Pentax 200d??

Newer Topic | Older Topic

BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Pentax 200d?? posted by LensBaby User June 27, 2008 07:04PM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
Hello,
So now I am ready to buy my first Lensbaby G3, and need to get an SLR to match it,

What is the BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000?

Would it be the newest Rebel, E-520, Pentax K200D, or another camera??

The Olympus and Pentax look really interesting... but I have no camera shops in town to test them. Has anyone used the new Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction yet??

It seems to be important to get a camera with built-in stabilization and shake-reduction.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2008 07:32AM by LensBaby User.
Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Other?? posted by BearWoodsDavid June 27, 2008 07:12PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I am a big fan of the Olympus system. I have several of the E-510s. There is not a lot of difference between the 510 and the 520, you may save even more money to get a 510. You can get the body and 2 kit lenses for about $650. This leaves more money in your pocket for an extra Lensbaby stuff like the LBOriginal, Wide angle/teleconverter macro kit, etc. I know the Canon is a very good product as is all of the SLRs out there but I really like the Olympus. I have adapters (off ebay) that I use Nikon lenses and old OM mount lens on my system. Check out some of the images I have posted and see what you think. You should go somewhere and put them in your hands to see which feels better too. All personal opinion of course but a very strong opinion towards Olympus. The whole system is very user friendly.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Other?? posted by jWebb June 27, 2008 07:34PM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

If this is your first SLR, think in terms of lenses. Camera bodies come and go, but lenses are forever. Nikon and Canon will offer more lens choices. If you are a casual shooter and won't be investing much in camera gear in the future, then consider other things, such as in-body image stabilization and tilting viewer. Both of these are very good innovations and neither Nikon nor Canon employ them. You will find that every brand has a loyal following (I am a Canonite), but in reality all DSLRs have their strengths and weaknesses. David offered some very good advice. If there is a camera store nearby, go handle the cameras. Each fits differently in the hand. I have small hands and the Canon 400D fits me nicely, but someone with large hands will find it difficult to hold. Don't think in terms of which is the best Lensbaby camera (they all are), but rather in terms of which is the best camera system for you.
Jack
Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Other?? posted by mattdm June 27, 2008 08:10PM reply | quote
posted by mattdm
jWebb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cameras. Each fits differently in the hand. I have
> small hands and the Canon 400D fits me nicely, but
> someone with large hands will find it difficult to
> hold. Don't think in terms of which is the best
> Lensbaby camera (they all are), but rather in
> terms of which is the best camera system for you.

This is all great advice. I have Pentax and I really like it. The particular strength of that system is great and interesting prime (non-zoom) lenses plus in-body stabilization. (And well featured camera bodies for relatively less than Canon or Nikon.) If you're attracted to the Lensbaby that may also appeal to you.

That said, I just got a Lensbaby, and while my Pentax K10D is normally comfortable in my hands, it's a bit of a stretch to hold the Lensbaby in the suggested way and reach the shutter button. I'll get used to it, but it made me think a smaller body is probably better for this.

Olympus certainly fits the bill there, but I'd be a bit concerned about the 2x crop factor. I think you'd really want to add the wide angle kit.
Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Other?? posted by ranfoto June 28, 2008 05:53AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

If you just want a digi body for the Lensbabe.....the Canon Rebel body is hard to beat because it has shutter priorty and able to meter the exposures with manual lenses .

I myself prefer Nikon bodies and gear, but most of the more affordable Nikon bodies don't offer metering.......I have the Canon for the metering and testing .....but I'm also quite comfortable using my Nikons with no metering, just a few trial and error exposures to get in the ball park .....auto exposure doesn't always give you correct exposure anyway without some testing first .

I find that using the lightest body available with my LB's is best, I have the heavy pro bodies, but now I just use the Nikon D40 with it's big viewing screen and have fun . With Bending less is more......more fun that is !
Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Other?? posted by BearWoodsDavid June 28, 2008 09:58PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Lensbaby user,
I wanted to add to some of the advantages to look at with Olympus. I have image stabilization built in to the chip. I can use the old manual focus lenses from Olympus, Canon, or Nikon and still have image stabilization. I have found it very convenient to be crawling through my garden with the LBs and get a bizarre angle on a flower, activate the image stabilizer and shoot. It gives you about 2 extra stops of light or speed. I have done some test with the old Nikon 105mm micro lens, the really old one that I picked up for nothing and it is very sharp. I also picked up a 50mm 1.2 for nothing and it is an incredible portrait lens. It becomes a 100mm f1.2. I picked up one of the old great lenses the 300mm f4 lens for $50, now I have a 600mm f4 lens. Check out Costco.com you can get the body 2 lenses for about $600, if you don't like it within the first 90 days you can return it for full credit. My 2 cents of course.
David

David Akoubian

Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Other?? posted by LensBaby User June 29, 2008 07:29AM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
What do people think of the "Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction" compared to the "Olympus E-520"?
Re: BEST LENSBABY CAMERA UNDER $1,000? Rebel, E-520, Pentax 200d?? posted by BearWoodsDavid June 29, 2008 07:56AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I went to DP Reviews and looked to see what if any difference there is between the two and they seem very similar. The Pentax is a magnetic stabilizer and the Olympus is a gyro driven stabilizer. I do not know which is better though. One plus or drawback is the Pentax takes AA Batteries (Lithium, Nicad, or Alkaline), in a pinch that is nice, but my experience has been they don't last nearly as long as the lithium cells with most cameras. The Supersonic Wave Filter that reduces dust on the Olympus is great, I never have dust spots. The live view capability of the Olympus is awesome. I do not use it for focus but I will check composition and histograms before I shoot often. Also the Pentax uses SD cards the Olympus uses CF and XD cards both. I prefer the CF but use the XD card for easy Panoramic prints.
David

David Akoubian

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today