Latest Post

11 minutes ago by jffoto

Re: Elements Study (water)

view post

Fractalius experiment

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Fractalius experiment posted by GR8FUL DAD June 22, 2008 01:00PM reply | quote
posted by GR8FUL DAD

I am messing around with a fractalius demo version, a Redfield plug in. The image is with an LBO with fractalius applied in post editing. I have some ideas on how this can be used, but at this point I haven't bought it. I am interested to hear your thoughts. Take it or leave it?
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by ScottM June 22, 2008 01:34PM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

It looks interesting and have seen some nice stuff but not enough to convince me to buy it. I do like what it did with your image of the carts.
Scott
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by ranfoto June 22, 2008 02:00PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

I like _______demo Bending, but not the warning signs.....hee ! Did I miss something ?
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by Craig (Admin) June 22, 2008 02:46PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Hi Greg,

It is an interesting effect. I'll have to look into what it is doing and how to see if it intrigues me enough to look at more of these.

I'm not a big fan of software that moves images away from a convincing presentation that could be done in an analog world.

That said, I think that line is blurring and new things are always out there that impress me with what they can do. Just started playing with HDR and I really like the potential.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by Trav June 22, 2008 02:55PM reply | quote
posted by Trav

Hey Greg,

I've seen a few other photographers get VERY carried away and pump nearly everything through Fractalius. And it becomes boring very quick.

It can be an effective special effect when used selectively, or as part of an image (eg on the background, feathered out & cropped into the subject), but overuse is really easy to "achieve". If you like the effect, by all means get it, but don't get carried away

-Trav
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by RichB June 22, 2008 10:34PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Greg,

I found both images to be quite "painterly" -- particularly the barn. I had never seen this fractalius before. I think it is great that you are willing to experiment with different things, try them out, and ask for CCC -- particularly as a newcomer to the world of photography.

Oh, the repetition in the grocery cart image, and the subtle way that the fractalius sofware was applied made this image quite interesting to me. In both images, it seems to me that the effect of the fractals is softened when applied to a Lensbabies image. I say this now that I have also taken a look at "ordinary" lens images to which fractalius has been applied on the developer's Web site.

Dad

PS Hope the grocery store manager didn't give you grief this time! :)
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by BearWoodsDavid June 22, 2008 10:37PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Greg,
I have never heard of it but it is different and deserves more investigation on my part for sure. Thanks for opening my eyes to it. Are the carts at Costco?
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by GR8FUL DAD June 22, 2008 11:13PM reply | quote
posted by GR8FUL DAD

I know a lot of you are into photographing botanicals...here is an idea of the direction you can go. Certainly, not every image lends itself to this processing, but occassionally it could be something different to make an image pop.
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by GR8FUL DAD June 22, 2008 11:16PM reply | quote
posted by GR8FUL DAD

BearWoodsDavid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greg,
> I have never heard of it but it is different and
> deserves more investigation on my part for sure.
> Thanks for opening my eyes to it. Are the carts
> at Costco?
> David

Jewel grocery store. Fortunately, the carts were outside and I wasn't kicked out by the manager. ;-)
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by Unni June 22, 2008 11:32PM reply | quote
posted by Unni

Greg,

Nice and interesting. Never heard of it before. I think this can be an interesting twist to some special picked photos. I guess the problem is to avoid being tempted to use it for too many photos. (That could easily happen to me). My favorites are the barn and the red flower. I think it could be very interesting to chose one really fabulous photo with this treatment and hang it on the wall in a large size.

Unni
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by Sputnik June 23, 2008 03:03AM reply | quote
posted by Sputnik

You have peeked my interest, but I too can see where one could get carried away with over-use of this technique. I personally like the effect on all your examples but think the flowers loses something in the process, at least for me.

The shopping carts appeal to me the most because I am drawn to abstract and impressionist art myself and it (#1) suits my personal style.

Mary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2008 11:07PM by Sputnik.
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by BearWoodsDavid June 23, 2008 10:06AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I really like the effect in the flowers. You need to step up to the plate and get rid of the Demo label everywhere!!!! Just kidding of course. I think it is great that the software companies allow us to download and experiment before we buy.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Fractalius experiment posted by RichB June 23, 2008 10:26AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David -- this is going to cost me. I promised Greg I'd pay for non-demo license if he got some positive response on the effect. :)

Rich
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by BearWoodsDavid June 23, 2008 11:21AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Rich,
Do you at least get to install one of the licensed versions on your computer? If not ouch!!!
David

David Akoubian

Re: Fractalius experiment posted by Trav June 23, 2008 12:23PM reply | quote
posted by Trav

Greg: Try the following, you might like the look:

Get the orig flower image, copy to a new layer, run Fractalius over the top layer, set blending mode to either Lighten or Soft Light (can't remember which one it was when I was playing with this... was last year sometime)

-Trav
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by Günter Zetzsche June 24, 2008 03:02PM reply | quote
posted by Günter Zetzsche

Hi Greg,

ich habe noch nie diese wirklich interessante softwaremäßige Verfremdung gesehen, die Farbkompositionen gefallen mir auch sehr gut,

Günter
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by GR8FUL DAD June 24, 2008 08:23PM reply | quote
posted by GR8FUL DAD

Gunter,
Vielen Dank.
Greg

P.s. My English is better than my German, but I enjoy practicing my German.
Re: Fractalius experiment posted by TG-J (Admin) June 25, 2008 01:08AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Looks like a bit of a one trick pony. Tony.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today