Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

10 hours ago by strelar

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Question: 3G against Orignial

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Unni June 10, 2008 11:27PM reply | quote
posted by Unni

Hi all,
I love my LB3G. But I have noticed that some of you prefer the Orignial even if you have both lenses. Can anyone please tell me what I can achive by buying the Orignal? Am I missing anything here?

Would love to hear from you.

Unni
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by kudzu June 11, 2008 12:30AM reply | quote
posted by kudzu

Hi Unni,

I'm very new (one month) to the lensbaby, but I have 30 years photo experence so I might be able to shed some light on the subject. I have shot some with a borrowed LB3g.

Like so many things in life, it depends. My understanding is that the LBO has a softer look. I have two friends who shoot with the LB3G, and they like the sharper imagess. I prefer softer.

IMHO, the LBO is better for street photography. I find can focus faster and move the sweet spot faster with my LBO.

For someone who shoots in the studio, the LB3G would have the advantage of locking the focus and making fine adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Kudzu
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by BearWoodsDavid June 11, 2008 01:59AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

The LBO does not have the coated type of glass that the 2.0 and 3G have. The coatings just like traditional non-bendable lenses are designed to have the colors meet at the same point. Naturally light focuses at different points the coatings ideally make it the same point. The LBO will probably not have the "apparent" sharpness that the others have. I do not have an LBO yet but it is on my wish list. I have seen some great stuff with them. To the best of my knowledge that is the difference.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Eyescream June 11, 2008 03:04AM reply | quote
posted by Eyescream

I have an LBO, and plan on getting a 3G very soon. The LBO is much more Holga/Diana-esque in the quality of image it provides. It's very good for giving an impressionistic look to images with very little effort on the user's part. I love my LBO, and it's my most-used lens.

The 3G – from the images I've seen – seems to have a more clearly defined difference between what is is in the sweet spot and what isn't. And you can lock and fine tune the focus. I want one so that I can play with long night exposures.
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Eyescream June 11, 2008 03:04AM reply | quote
posted by Eyescream

oops. doubletap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 03:54AM by Eyescream.
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by rjcolby June 11, 2008 03:30AM reply | quote
posted by rjcolby

Unni,

I have both, and for some things prefer 3G for the better color, or locking, and other times like the Original, which is on-camera now. It depends on the mood of the scene, or your mood, more likely.

They are different and so bend your seeing a little differently. Makes it interesting.

Original is a good street photography lens, as is 2.0. 3G is a great work the scene from a tripod kind of lens, but by skipping locking it works fine in 2.0 mode.

Dick
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Unni June 11, 2008 04:47AM reply | quote
posted by Unni

Kudzu, David, Eyescream and Dick,

Thank you all for your information and help. I had no chance to avoid this as soon as I started thinking of it. I left work this afternoon and went straight to the camerastore. I have the the orignal on my camera now (Canon EOS 450D) and I love it already. I will absolutely use both lenses, and I already see the different. Can't wait to try it out.

Unni
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Eyescream June 11, 2008 07:18AM reply | quote
posted by Eyescream

I'm going to put off ordering my 3G for a couple more days, but I don't think I'll be able to do without it for much longer.
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by ranfoto June 13, 2008 04:18PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

As most of the early Lensbaby users found out, less sharpness/contrast is really more creative imaging .....or less is more .

Plus as you get more addicted to Bending your perspectives you'll find every model of the three types of LB Benders is worthy of the small investment you have to make to have them in your Bending toolbox .

I didn't believe the 3G would add much to my Bending experience after owning several Modified Originals, a 2.0 LB, and about every conversion lens made......

BUT ! After I finally got one......I found another world of Bending light was out there, the same holds true for every model.......just forget about thinking is this one better or the latest and greatest .......they are all the greatest.

You just have to start Bending them images to see for yourself !
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by CMH June 13, 2008 10:45PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

i have all three - the LBO, 2.0 and 3G. i do believe the LBO is my favorite, though. i love the impressionistic, almost painterly images it creates. they each have their good points and all are just a little different (with the 3G being the most different). i think i'm attached to the LBO the most because the images it produces are what drew me to lensbabies in the first place.
just my 2 cents. :)
cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by chichichar June 14, 2008 10:07AM reply | quote
posted by chichichar

can't agree more with Cindi.

My first lb is LB2, i wanna blur my image with 1 sweet spot. Then 1 month later i got LB3G because i wanna experience to lock & fine tune the sweet spot. And finally a year had past, i got myself LB0 from ebay, because of extra softness on sweet spot.

Now guess what :D LB0 has been attached on my camera all the time.

chichichar

" fake it till you make it "
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by TonyKnoxville June 14, 2008 11:30PM reply | quote
posted by TonyKnoxville
Which is why Kudzu LOVES the LBO, and I prefer my LB3G. :) He has shot with a Holga and has looked for ways to do digital Holga images and he does some amazing work with the LBO.

We meet monthly in K town and he had some recent shots. All very nicely done.

So if anyone is looking for a digital Holga, try the LBO and use the F2 or F2.8 disk to get a good shallow DOF.

Take care,

Eyescream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an LBO, and plan on getting a 3G very soon.
> The LBO is much more Holga/Diana-esque in the
> quality of image it provides. It's very good for
> giving an impressionistic look to images with very
> little effort on the user's part. I love my LBO,
> and it's my most-used lens.
>
> The 3G – from the images I've seen – seems to
> have a more clearly defined difference between
> what is is in the sweet spot and what isn't. And
> you can lock and fine tune the focus. I want one
> so that I can play with long night exposures.

Take care,

Tony
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by ranfoto June 15, 2008 07:20AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

This may not be appropiate to post here at the LB Forum, but my friend Ta King was also addicted to all those toy cameras.....

She then hacked some of the lenses to see if she could use them on her digital Canon ......she tried the Diana, the Lomo LCA, Holgas, and others I have forgotten the names .

Since Lensbabies have gone big time making different models for us, Craig hardly has time to explore all the possibilities of strange and interesting optics out there .....

To make a long winded story a bit shorter ......I told Ta to send me some of the more interesting glass and plastic she had come across......

I then machined up some adapters, got a company to mold up some mini bellows so we could Bend these toy optics like we have done with our Lensbabies.....very koool fun .

Ta's favorite of these hacked up toys is the Holga plastic lensed model known as the 120 N .

I recently made two prototype testers for Mel to try her aRtistry magic on......if anyone would like to see the image samples come over to our Bending site ......of course we also love our modified Lensbabies, 3Gees, so there is lots to gaze at........

One of the best things I discovered about the Original Lensbaby is that with a little engineering/hacking you can build many koool "one of a kind" imagers with the basic structure of this original of all Benders .

I even bought the 3G to hack, but after using it.....I decided to just leave it alone, as it works perfectly without messing with it...hee !
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by BearWoodsDavid June 15, 2008 07:42AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I got my LBO yesterday and I love it. I now think of the LBs as jackets. There are some days I need a windbreaker, others fleece and some days a Parka. The LBs are each so unique and individual to themselves. I now need an additional camera body so I can just keep them attached maybe. You can see some of the first images I did on the forum if you would like.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Mike Bokeh June 18, 2008 10:55AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

I've had my Lensbaby 3G since late January, and love it. It took me a few test sessions to really understand how to use it properly, but now I love it.

I bought the 3G mainly for its locking ability, but I do like the impressionistic look that the Lensbaby original gives. It reminds me a lot of my Sima Soft Focus lens which was made for a few years in the 1980s. I have never been able to duplicate the results this lens gave, and the results it gave were fantastic!

I'm even going to see if I can take the Canon mount off it, and find a Pentax mount so that I can use it on my Pentax digital camera.

I stopped by here after not visiting for a few weeks, but now I may just go out and buy an original Lensbaby.

Enjoy, everyone! {:^D

Mike
Re: Question: 3G against Orignial posted by Unni June 18, 2008 05:44PM reply | quote
posted by Unni

Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies.

I shot approx 500 photos with both my 3G and my very new Orignial this weekend. I have been working very late evenings this week,so I haven't had time to check the results in detail. I will do some editing and uploading within the next few days.

Unni

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today