Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

59 minutes ago by oliver tudoras

Re: Fall is in the air

view post

Sunday morning stuff

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sunday morning stuff posted by BearWoodsDavid June 07, 2008 09:54PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

It is going to be 97 degrees today in Atlanta so getting dew meant getting up really early.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by BearWoodsDavid June 07, 2008 09:55PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

A different series perspective on the Tiger Lily.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by RichB June 07, 2008 10:50PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

#1 is a GREAT capture -- well worth the getting up early, and the tiger lily of #3 is absolutely phenomenal. The composition and soft blending throughout are among the best of bots I've seen on this forum.

Rich
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by crfrey71 June 07, 2008 11:12PM reply | quote
posted by crfrey71

You have mastered the lily shots for sure. Lily shots again with the lensbaby 1.6X teleconveter stacked on top of the +4 and +10 diopters?
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by rjcolby June 08, 2008 02:59AM reply | quote
posted by rjcolby

Rich nailed it with his comments. #3 just glows with inner light. Excellent Tiger Lily study. Great argument against the one shot and move on style of shooting.

Dick
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by BearWoodsDavid June 08, 2008 08:30AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks again Rich, Charles and Dick the comments mean a lot they definitely help to see through others eyes and open mine in return. Charles these were with the +4 and the 1.6x teleconverter. I worked and taught with a phenomenal teacher named Bryan Peterson years ago and he used to do a lot of long telephoto lens stuff through other flowers. I was down on the ground this morning and had 20-25 Tiger Lillies blooming around me and decided to move and duck. Thanks again for the tremendous compliments.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by BearWoodsDavid June 08, 2008 09:09AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Last three from this morning.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by popquiz June 09, 2008 02:43AM reply | quote
posted by popquiz

David,

Love the composition and lighting of #6.

...it's like nailing JELL-O to a tree!

Glen Copeland
aka: PopQuiz

Join Lensbaby Addicts at: [www.facebook.com]
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by David Morel June 09, 2008 02:50AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

They are all really nice! I think #3 does it the most for me!

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by Ol' Don June 09, 2008 03:31AM reply | quote
posted by Ol' Don

I like all these shots, but as you've already been told, number three is simply outstanding. It's rare now days for a flower shot to make me look twice, but I keep coming back to look at this again and again.

Ol' Don

Life is expensive, but includes a free trip
around the sun!
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by BearWoodsDavid June 09, 2008 11:02AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Thanks again all for the comments, and critiques. I hope to try some more similar things tomorrow. Wednesday is back to the cabin day, I am hoping there are more wildflowers out by now. It is fairly high in elevation compared to Atlanta and about a month or so behind us. I hope that the blueberries are out and growing, I am able to photograph some bears each year up there. Lensbaby bears.....
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by RichB June 09, 2008 01:06PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

I, too, keep coming back to look at #3. If you are willing to share any details on how you accomplished that image, it would be appreciated. If not, I understand completely.

My guess is that you shot it in very subdued (early morning) light as you indicated, with no aperture disks in the Lensbaby -- wide open. But then, I could be totally wrong. And if you are like me, I don't always remember what I did on a particular shot, and since the LB doesn't communicate anything to the metadata for the picture, it doesn't always help to look at that data.

Thanks,

Rich
Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by BearWoodsDavid June 09, 2008 09:54PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Hey Rich,
I will be willing to completely disclose any and all information always, that's why I like the forum thing. I did shoot in very early diffused light. These are on the shade side of my house at sunrise. I do get some reflected light but not much. I used the +4 diopter and the 1.6x teleconverter at f2. I lower my sturdy Gitzo custom tripod down into the Tiger Lillies until I could bend the 3G enough to isolate the one Lily. The Olympus has an anti-shock feature that allows you to retract the mirror a second before the shutter opens to minimize shake. Then the additional softness comes from the elements in the glass of the diopter. Maybe I need to clean it but I like the effect. Also I use a shutter release that plugs into the USB port of the camera.
David

David Akoubian

Re: Sunday morning stuff posted by RichB June 09, 2008 10:13PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

David,

Guess I wasn't too far off on my thoughts. Thanks for sharing the information. I was thinking of trying this using a fog filter, similar to what you say is characteristic of the elements of the glass in the diopter.

Thanks again, a gorgeous shot.

Rich

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today