Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by rusteer

Re: side light to flare

view post

NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by LensBaby User May 11, 2008 03:51PM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
Hello,
I saw a lensbaby in use the other day, and realized this is the lens used to take all those "subject-focused/rest-blurred" pictures I loved so much and I was trying to emulate using a regular lens and a high-end point-and-shoot.

So anyway, I will be buying a lensbaby!

I will ALSO be buying my first DSLR!

I've spent many hours learning about both.

I will be buying the DSLR to go solely with the Lensbaby! (As my point-and-shoot does RAW and has an 18x zoom, so I use that for straight photos. Yes, I've done my entire photo career with "high-end" point-and-shoots!)

My questions are, since I'm about to spend $1,000 or more, I need to know which DSLR and Lensbaby accessories to get. I don't know if you can help me, but I'm hoping you can - as I can't get a Lensbaby until I decide which make of camera to buy. I can't decide which DSLR is best with a Lensbaby for my shooting conditions.

A) I shoot, and will be using the Lensbaby for:
Photojournalism/Documentary (Mostly New Orleans Katrina work - people in crisis, outdoor/indoor, unpredictable and bad lighting, on-the-move, action, one-chance-only photos)
Glamour/Commercial (Weddings, music bands, dark concerts, etc.)

B) The cameras I'm looking at are: Nikon D200, Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 (Has built-in Image Stabilization and Live-View), Canon EOS 450D/Rebel XSi. But I am open to whatever else might be the best camera for under $1,100.

I'm buying the DSLR to use solely with the Lensbaby. I read each camera and brand has different feature reactions to Lensbabies, since there is no electronic signal, auto-focus, etc.

Is there a DSLR that might be highly recommended solely for Lensbaby use under $1,100? ($1,100 for Camera Body, then extra $$ for LensBaby.)

C) After that, I am wondering which Lensbaby and accessories I should get. I'm thinking the 3G, but am wondering which additional accessories you highly recommend I get along with it so I may have them for every possibly need during shooting (as stated above - photojournalism and the standard wedding/commercial work).

Thanks so much!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 09:33PM by LensBaby User.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by BearWoodsDavid May 11, 2008 09:11PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

I use the Olympus E-510 as do several other forum users. I really have loved it. I can use the 2.5" Live view LCD on the back of the camera or the viewfinder. Many people say it is smaller and harder to use but I can shoot easily enough with glasses even. It is 10 megapixels. It has image stabilization built into the chip so you can have an image stabilized Lensbaby for low light.
You can get the body only for under $500, or get a kit with two decent lenses for $654 out of New York. So get the Lensbaby 3G and the kit Olympus E-510(just in case you want to do other stuff later) and spend $900. If you want just the body and a Lensbaby 3G it will end up costing about $750.
Also I would get the Lensbaby Macro/Tele/Wide angle kit for $114 and you will be set! The whole thing is still under your budgeted $1100!!!!
I am very very satisfied with the Olympus. I have been able to do some really big enlargements from it too.
David

David Akoubian
www.bearwoodsphotography.com

"Time is a wonderful healer, but a really bad beautician" - Unknown
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by MattW May 11, 2008 09:17PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Interesting question, i expect you will get many different opinions! I use my 3G on a D200 and find it works really well - I occasionally set exposure compensation to -0.3 but other than this it works fine straight out of the box.

From an add-ons point of view, I'd agree with David that the macro / wideangle / telephoto kits are well worth having and if you are into weddings, then maybe the creative apertures, too - although probably less relevant for photojournalism shots.

I like the ability of the 3G to work either unlocked or with the sweet-spot position fixed - this is great for going between tripod and hand-held. The original and 2 don't allow you to lock the lens position but then you don't get the metal legs sticking out from the camera!

Matthew
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by LensBaby User May 11, 2008 11:15PM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
BearWoodsDavid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the Olympus E-510 as do several other forum
> users.

How does the E-510 handle under adverse/low-light conditions?

(I often shoot important photos under terrible lighting, with moving subjects and I only get one chance, and I currently lose many because of blurriness/shake or high image noise.)

Does this feature the flip-out LCD? (the E-330 has it - [neworleans.craigslist.org])

Also, when do you think the next, new Olympus will come out? I see that the E-510 is already a year old.

Which is better for the price? E-510 for $400 Body, or the Nikon D200 for $800 Body? (Both used on eBay)

Any other features/info/insights worth noting before I choose a DSLR for a LensBaby?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 11:43PM by LensBaby User.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by bogray May 12, 2008 12:42AM reply | quote
posted by bogray

I use my LB 3G with a Canon 30D...from what you wrote and from your questions, it seems that a camera with Live View and built-in Image Stabilization would serve you best (that would eliminate Nikons and Canons since those manufacturers use IS or VR on the lens, not in the body.)

I also purchased the macro/wideangle and telephoto adaptors and I have found the wideangle to be my most-used accessory.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by BearWoodsDavid May 12, 2008 09:51AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

It is easy to use the viewfinder or the live view in low light, or at least I have not experienced any issues and I have used it really early for some macro work. The really nice thing is with the built in image stabilizer you pick up about 2 stops of light too in the darker settings.
It does not have the flip out LCD you would have to go to the E3 ($1700) for that feature. They just came out with the E-420 to replace the E-410 but I like the 510 better. The 420's stabilizer is done digitally with increasing the ISO/Shutter speed vs. the actual gyros of the 510. I still think it will be next year before they replace it though, but I could be wrong.
I was a Nikon user for many years and they make a great product. The 510 is newer technology than the D200 though. One thing I really like about the 510 also is you can use CF or XD cards or both. The XD cards is great to do pans if you ever wanted to do so.
You have a tough decision on your hands....good luck!
David

David Akoubian

Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by Jack Howard May 12, 2008 02:07PM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

LBUser, FYI, Olympus just announced the E-520 a few moments ago:

[www.popphoto.com]

Jack Howard
Online Tech Editor
www.PopPhoto.com
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by BearWoodsDavid May 12, 2008 08:54PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

See I told you that you never know. It looks like the only real differences are the 2.7" LCD versus the 2.5" LCD. There is added contrast apparently with the bigger screen also. All of the IS features and processor are the same. I think the shadow technology may be modified also. Is it worth the $200 difference? It's up to you LensBaby User.
David

David Akoubian

Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by TG-J (Admin) May 12, 2008 10:24PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

I use the D2x and a d200 and a fuji s2 and I recon I will eventually buy a fuji s5 for the lens baby,The reason - Fuji color and an extra 2 stops dynamic range , that extra 2 stops is the clincher. Tony.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by Axion May 13, 2008 01:57AM reply | quote
posted by Axion
Lots of good DSLRs out there right now. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc. are all pushing each other to deliver the latest features to consumers. Go to a camera store, try them all out and see what feels the best for you. Think long term: you will be investing in "glass" for a certain mount (Nikon, Canon, etc.) over 10-20 years, but your body will change every few years.

I chose the D200 because I liked it's build quality, feel, and features. Now I'm "locked" into Nikon glass (or 3rd party glass for Nikon mounts). I'm happy about it and the Lensbaby 3G works great on the D200.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by Bolide2006 May 22, 2008 12:10AM reply | quote
posted by Bolide2006
Hi,

My husband is using an Olympus E 510 too, and I want to purchase the right lensbabies for his birthday. I am wondering because the 510 is not clearly define in the specs on the products on this website.
I guess the Olympus 4/3rds (E1) / Panasonic Lumix DMC Moun should be the right but I want to be sure (imagine the deception on the birthday party !)
Thanks a lot for your help
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by LensBaby User May 22, 2008 12:52AM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
How happy is your husband with the Olympus 510?

Bolide2006 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My husband is using an Olympus E 510 too.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by BearWoodsDavid May 22, 2008 04:28AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

Lensbaby User, I let my wife, son, and daughter use mine and we now have 3 additional E-510s in the family. Also a good friend of mine who attended my last workshop also picked one up. I have not heard from him yet but everyone else loves them so far. Bolide2006, all of the Olympus digitals use the 4/3rds mount. Leica actually makes a lens for the camera too, in case you ever have to shoot something without the LB (although I think mine is permanently attached now).
David

David Akoubian

Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by LensBaby User May 22, 2008 11:22AM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
Sounds like I will be getting a E-520, the newest one when it comes out. I tried the Canon 40D, and it feels like a brick, but is an awesome camera, just too big and heavy. On paper, I like all the stuff about the 520.

For the Olympus users - I'm new to FLASH photography - is there a handheld, remote, or hot-shoe flash that you'd recommend for night-time wedding/event photography? I don't know which FLASH to get, and that's something I need.

I'd love to also get an additional Leica lens, as I love Leica.

Thanks for all the help on the choice of DSLR! I'm still open to suggestions until I actually make the purchase though! I guess no one owns a Sony Alpha? As I have not heard if they are good or bad.

BearWoodsDavid Wrote:
> Lensbaby User, I let my wife, son, and daughter
> use mine and we now have 3 additional E-510s in
> the family.
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by Bolide2006 May 22, 2008 06:10PM reply | quote
posted by Bolide2006
Thanks for your confirmation. My husband is very happy with his Olympus 510 and he is taking now very good pictures (first shoots were not relevant !). He is trying all functions and possible combinations and the possibilities are really good. I take pictures too, I like this model because it's not to heavy and it's easy to take good pictures with (almost) no technical background (that's my case as you already noticed). Up to now I am only using automatic setup and I concentrate on composition. For me the only weakness of this model is the time to shoot and the time between two pictures.
We tried the lensbabies 2.0 during à nature photographie tour and I think it is funny to work on this sharf effect. Using the 3G model with the screws allows for sure à more stable result but doesn't it take a little bit the fun away of trying to get the right effect at the right moment ?
Know I will have some hours to find a retailer in France, it's easy to find everywhere the Canon or Nikon ones, but for the Olympus ...
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by BearWoodsDavid May 22, 2008 08:26PM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

With the E-520 you will definitely want to get the FL50R which will allow you to do wireless multiflash. I have the older version FL50 which is not wireless but I have shot several weddings using just it and been successful. Make sure you post some of the images so we can see your wedding and photojournalism with the LBs.
David

David Akoubian

Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by LensBaby User May 23, 2008 06:34AM reply | quote
posted by LensBaby User
BearWoodsDavid Wrote:
> With the E-520 you will definitely want to get the
> FL50R which will allow you to do wireless
> multiflash.

I am completely new to FLASH photography. I see the FL50R is about $400+... so before I spend that much or more, I need to know more. Basically I need a flash so I don't get that "washed-out," "all pale-white-skin," "spotlight" look of an on-camera point-and-shoot flash.

Do I need more than one flash? How do I do this? (I know nothing of slave/master, set-up, etc.) Are there cheaper alternatives? ($400+ per flash is a lot!)

And lastly, what are some good flash techniques? (bouncing, etc. - I know nothing of this, too.)
Re: NEWBIE! ->Which DSLR Camera to BUY for a LensBaby? posted by BearWoodsDavid May 23, 2008 11:03AM reply | quote
posted by BearWoodsDavid

There is a smaller flash (cheaper too). I think it is the FL36R. The great thing about the flash units is that they are TTL (Through the Lens) so you just put them on auto and they will do a pretty good job of exposing properly. I have used mine to do some portraits with the 3G by putting the f8 aperture ring in and setting the camera to manual at 1/125th and f8 of course and shoot away. I have a few attachments that I can use too, but to start I would use the flash alone. I do not bounce a lot, but I do have the plastic soft box type diffuser on the front to soften the light.
David

David Akoubian

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today