Latest Post

31 minutes ago by Victoria Bell

Re: Been gone for a long time

view post

wide angle converters

Newer Topic | Older Topic

wide angle converters posted by ames October 28, 2004 02:38AM reply | quote
posted by
I was looking at the accessories you have available for the lensbabies and had a quick question about them...The wide and telephoto conversion lenses, when attached to the lensbaby, will they work with a film camera? I ask because the people who tend use them in the forums all seem to use digital SLRs. Are they simply using the lenses to compensate for the cropping factor of a digital camera or would they have the same effect on a film SLR? For example, with the Sony 0.60x conversion lens, on a film camera, would that still equate to a 35 mm instead of the 50 mm lensbaby? Does the telephoto conversion lens work the same as a telephoto converter for regular lenses? Thank you in advance for clearing this up for me.

Re: wide angle converters posted by Craig (Admin) October 28, 2004 03:31AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Amy,

They will work just the same with film cameras, multiplying your Lensbaby's ~50mm optic by the stated power of the adapter lens.

The only difference is that, with a smaller image area dSLR, the shooter will have more tilt available without vignetting. The vignetting I mention comes from seeing the edge of the image as cropped by the image area that adapter allows one to see.

I have tested a large number of these adapters to make sure that we are offering the ones that work well on a full 24x36mm film or digital image area as well as on a cropped frame dSLR. On your film camera you may not be able to put the sweet spot of focus as far to the left or right of a horizontal image as you would without the adapter. On a full 24x36mm frame some tilting is possible and, as I mentioned, I have tested a daunting number of these adapters on the market to make sure we are offering ones that allow the largest image area possible. Many lenses on the market do not allow tilting at all. As a general rule, the wider an adapter lens will go, the more important it is to test the lens to make sure that it will cover as large of an image circle as possible to allow tilts.

Have a super day.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: wide angle converters posted by ames October 28, 2004 05:48AM reply | quote
posted by
Thanks for your quick response. Since you have done extensive testing on the converters, I was wondering if you could make a suggestion on which converter you feel would work best and still allow for tilting out of the ones on your accessory page for a film camera? Might as well get a lensbaby and a wide angle adapter at the same time! Also, if I already have a 2x teleconverter I wouldn't really need a tele-conversion lens at the end of the lensbaby would I? One is the same as the other, correct? Thanks again.
Re: wide angle converters posted by Craig (Admin) October 29, 2004 06:14AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Amy,

The only wide adapter that we sell that will not allow much tilt on a full frame 24x36mm camera is the wide in the wide/tele Raynox kit. The .45, .5 and .6x lenses all allow some tilting left and right, more top/bottom on a horizontal image.

Keep your packaging materials on whatever you buy. You have a 30 day trial in case anything does not work out.

Have a super day.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: wide angle converters posted by ames October 29, 2004 11:34PM reply | quote
posted by
Thanks Craig for all your help. I ordered my lens and converter! Here's to new creativity!
Re: wide angle converters posted by r.b.hynard October 30, 2004 07:52PM reply | quote
posted by
Hello ames, i use film cameras but found that i could screw a wide angle lens from a digital/vidio camera into the L/B 37mm thread, it works ok but some vignetting may appear. my lens is 0.45x. These lenses are fairly cheap but have reasonable optics .best regards russell.
Re: wide angle converters posted by ames October 31, 2004 12:56PM reply | quote
posted by
Thanks for your input Russell. I purchased the .45x converter with my lensbaby. Glad to know it works well for you. I can't wait to try it out! Have you tried anything out besides the wide angle converter?
Re: wide angle converters posted by lenoryan December 05, 2004 05:51AM reply | quote
posted by lenoryan

Oops! Maybe I am reading these messages a little too late.....I just received my Raynox kit with .65xwide angle lens and the 1.5x teleconverter. I plan to use them on the Canon 10D. Took it out this morning and seemed to have no problem...made the two shots below. Now I see Craig's warning about using it with a 24:36 ratio camera. Just now tried to force a vignette and found I had to bend and focus beyond the edge of the frame to produce a vignette. What do you think?
Re: wide angle converters posted by Craig (Admin) December 05, 2004 06:24AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Lenore,

Your experience is the norm with a 1.6 crop compared to a 24x36mm full frame sensor or film. You will be able to tilt the sweet spot of focus clear to the edge of the frame with either of your Raynox converters without seeing the edge of the lens.

The .45x converter should be the same but with a lot wider angle of view. The difference is very dramatic so when you get a hankering for something much wider, go get one.

Have a super day.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: wide angle converters posted by lenoryan December 05, 2004 10:36AM reply | quote
posted by lenoryan

Thanks Craig, maybe I will. My calculation tells me the .65x would give me 52mm... and the .45 would give me about 36mm. I do like the .65x for now and don't plan on retruning it.

Really appreciate your rapid responses. Have a good week.

Lenore
Re: wide angle converters posted by lenoryan December 05, 2004 10:43AM reply | quote
posted by lenoryan

Craig.......forgot to ask about leaving the w/a angle or tele lens on the LB when the camera is not in use. I remember reading somewhere that anything heavy on the LB would cause it to deform over time. What is your recommendation? Thanks again....Lenore
Re: wide angle converters posted by Craig (Admin) December 05, 2004 10:57AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Lenore,

I have experienced temporary deformity of my Lensbaby tubing when I've left one of the heavier converters (Sony .6x or the .45x listed on our accessories page) with the camera sitting on its base (vertical) as opposed to the more tubing-friendly methods of laying my camera on its back with the Lensbaby and converter pointed up or in my bag pointed down with the Lensbaby and converter hanging down from the mount. The Raynox wide lens from the kit is lighter than the other two wide lenses due to its smaller diameter optics and plastic body so it should not pose much of a risk of deformation.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today