Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 days ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

What's Your Favorite Aperture?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Mike Bokeh April 23, 2008 10:16AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Which aperture do you use most, and why?

I've only had my Lensbaby 3G since late January, but so far I seem to like the results of f4.0 the most. To me, it gives a nice balance between the Lensbaby blur, and the sweet spot. F2.0 seems a little soft, but I'm still testing mine out.

I bought my Lensbaby mainly with the intention of using it as an artsy portrait lens, at which I think it will excel. I also just bought the wide/telephoto set, which should give the Lensbaby a focal length of about 120mm on a Pentax digital camera using the tele attachment. F2.0 to f5.6 should yield some nice and unusual results.

Let's see how many replies we can get.

By the way, I also hang out at Pentaxforums.com, Here's a Lensbaby thread with a test done by me, and some Lensbaby shots by other photographers. [www.pentaxforums.com]

Enjoy.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 10:24AM by Mike Bokeh.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Eyescream April 23, 2008 11:40AM reply | quote
posted by Eyescream

I've been using 4 the most in my LBO.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Craig (Admin) April 23, 2008 02:17PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by libertine April 23, 2008 05:19PM reply | quote
posted by libertine

F/4 FTW :)

**************************************************************************************************

"It's like that drug trip in that movie I saw when I was on that drug trip."
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by bogray April 23, 2008 07:22PM reply | quote
posted by bogray

2.8 with the wide angle converter. About the only time I change is if I want to stop down the lens more in bright sunshine, such as this shot of the Old State Capitol in Frankfort, KY.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by MattW April 23, 2008 09:24PM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Mostly f4, as with you I like the compromise between sweet-spot and speed. The alternative is wide-open.

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 09:24PM by MattW.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by pkk April 23, 2008 10:19PM reply | quote
posted by pkk

Wideopen on my LB Original. If more dof I use f4.

Peter
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Darrell Marquette April 23, 2008 10:49PM reply | quote
posted by Darrell Marquette

f4 with no converter.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by tominboston April 23, 2008 11:15PM reply | quote
posted by tominboston

f/2.8
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Mike Bokeh April 24, 2008 10:57AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

It seems that f4.0 is pretty popular with the lensbaby crowd.

I want to do more experimenting with f2.0 and f2.8, because I like the dreamy effect you can get at these wide apertures.

I also bought a 37mm Tiffen Soft F/X 3 filter to soften the sweet spot, although I haven't tested it yet.

I'd like to recreate these shots with a Lensbaby.

Keep those replies coming, and thanks to all who responded.

Mike
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by pkk April 24, 2008 05:03PM reply | quote
posted by pkk

Do you use the same apertures on LBO & LB2/3G?
Is it possible to compare the differences?

Peter
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by oliver tudoras April 24, 2008 08:21PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

F 2 and F2,8 (LB original)

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Xavier April 24, 2008 08:57PM reply | quote
posted by Xavier

I'm pretty new to the LB world, but have been using f4 primarily. Sometimes f2.8 if the lighting is low. I just got an ND filter for my LB though so I'm going to start experimenting more with f2.8 and wide open f2.

X
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Va girl April 25, 2008 11:49PM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

I usually don't use an aperture at all...(F2, wide open, bare baby) as I love the softness and glow of the lighting. I most often shoot with the 3G and sometimes the 2.0.

Pam
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by rannestad December 08, 2008 03:15PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

2.8 for me. Some great images. Please make them with an LB too.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by jWebb December 08, 2008 08:13PM reply | quote
posted by jWebb

Most often a bare Baby or f/2.8 using the plastic optic, but the subject and effect I desire will dictate not only the aperture, but the optic. The LB has become a very versatile tool.
Jack
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Mike Bokeh December 09, 2008 09:07AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

A thread started by me, and I'd forgotten completely about it!

Eight months later, I've been experimenting, and find that I'm getting to like f2.8 and f5.6 as well as f4.0.

I'm even getting to like the look of some shots taken at f8.0 and smaller. Lensbabies are limited only by ones imagination.

I want a Composer with the single, plastic and zone plate/pinhole optics so badly, but I'll probably get one after the Holidays.

I've been so busy this year, I haven't had the time to book any models, and they were the main reason I bought my Lensbaby.

Thanks for bumping this thread, rannestad; I really did forget all about it.

GO LENSBABIES!!!

Mike {:^D

Lensbabies make you think.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Jack Howard December 09, 2008 12:18PM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

f/4 Pinhole, Happy/Jack 'O, Dogpaw, snowflake--and can't wait to try out palm tree in the islands in a few weeks ;)

~~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Check out my new book! (2nd Edition now Available!)
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by ndroo December 09, 2008 02:26PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

f/4 is the permanent resident on mine.

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Dharmatrekker December 09, 2008 02:40PM reply | quote
posted by Dharmatrekker

Naked thru f5.6 get the most mileage on my LBs. Depends on the mood I want to capture.

Emm

[marthabusse.com]
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by crfrey71 December 09, 2008 03:50PM reply | quote
posted by crfrey71

f19...My new favorite
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by Keithnc December 11, 2008 01:50AM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

f2.8 and sometimes f2.0.

I need to try the f8.0 ( or more). I usually do not use the smaller apertures.
Re: What's Your Favorite Aperture? posted by ranfoto December 11, 2008 04:36AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Lately I love to use my LB-O without the optic, instead I made a pinhole aperture disk and attached a .5X conversion lens ......hee..... wide angle Pinbaby !

I had to make a special optic cup so the pinhole disk would be as close to the sensor as possible, that made it work great .

Creating new types of Bendy accessories is as addictive as Bending the images, no wonder Craig decided to market the Lensbaby it's so much fun to be able to just create... it's not work it's Bending !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 04:37AM by ranfoto.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today