Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 hour ago by Victoria Bell

Re: The Beach

view post

B-24 Liberator from WWII

Newer Topic | Older Topic

B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Darrell Marquette April 20, 2008 12:04PM reply | quote
posted by Darrell Marquette

3G, f4
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by ARCHITECT April 20, 2008 12:12PM reply | quote
posted by ARCHITECT
Are you sure that's a B-24? If I could see the nose, I could tell the difference between ad B-24 and a B-17. Nice images.

Lo-Yi
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Darrell Marquette April 20, 2008 01:00PM reply | quote

Although I get the 17 and the 24 mixed up sometimes, I am sure this is a 24. It is owned by the Collings Foundation www.collingsfoundation.org and was here in Arizona recently on its tour of the US. According to their website, it is the only restored flying B-24 in the world. I looked through my images but do not have a LB shot showing the nose.
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by didipusrex April 20, 2008 02:37PM reply | quote
posted by didipusrex
pardon the french, but these shots are geekgasmic for a one-time scale modeler like me. great LB shots of the real thing!
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by RichB April 20, 2008 08:28PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Darrell,

Once again, some great WWII plane shots. Thanks for sharing.

Rich
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Sputnik April 20, 2008 08:48PM reply | quote
posted by Sputnik

#2 is an excellent shot! well place and great color!

Mary
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Mike Bokeh April 21, 2008 10:27AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Darrell Marquette Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I get the 17 and the 24 mixed up
> sometimes, I am sure this is a 24. It is owned by
> the Collings Foundation www.collingsfoundation.org
> and was here in Arizona recently on its tour of
> the US. According to their website, it is the
> only restored flying B-24 in the world. I looked
> through my images but do not have a LB shot
> showing the nose.

Darrell, the three shots you've posted above are definitely a Consolidated B-24 Liberator, while the plane in your avatar is a B-17G model. The B-17Gs had the chin turret. Other ways to tell a B-17 from a B-24 at a glance are: single tail for the B-17 and a twin tail for the B-24. The B-17 had a tail wheel landing gear configuration, while the B-24 had tricycle landing gear. Also, the engine cowlings were round on the B-17, and elliptical on the B-24.

Yes, I built too many model airplanes when I was a kid. {:^D

Nice shots.

Mike
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Darrell Marquette April 21, 2008 11:50AM reply | quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. Mike, I appreciate your explanation of the differences between the 17 and the 24.
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Mike Bokeh April 23, 2008 09:49AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

You're quite welcome, Darrell.

WWII aircraft are one of my passions.

Mike {:^D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2008 09:51AM by Mike Bokeh.
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Darrell Marquette April 23, 2008 12:22PM reply | quote

Mike, here are two images showing the different tails of the planes.
Re: B-24 Liberator from WWII posted by Crabcakes April 24, 2008 01:39AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Great shots Darrell--My father was in B-29's in WWII and Korea so I grew up fascinated with these amazing machines.

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today