Lensbaby Studio Forums

Not your typical horse portrait

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Not your typical horse portrait posted by jbrunjes March 30, 2008 12:49PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Taken on a dark and gloomy day in a dark and gloomy barn.
LB3G & 1dmk3.

Joseph Brunjes
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by RichB March 30, 2008 12:53PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Joseph,

Striking, indeed! Nice work.

Rich
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Darrell Marquette March 30, 2008 01:07PM reply | quote
posted by Darrell Marquette

Definitely different. Kind made me think of one I had taken a couple of months ago.
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by jean-luc March 30, 2008 02:21PM reply | quote
posted by jean-luc

That's a low key!...

Jean-Luc

[www.pbase.com]
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by TG-J (Admin) March 30, 2008 11:49PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

That is one of the most thought provoking horse shots I have ever seen. Gives a whole new meaning to the saying "a dark horse." Stunning!
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by pkk March 31, 2008 01:07AM reply | quote
posted by pkk

Here you see two not so typical horsepics.
I have shown them before

Canon 5D, LB O, f2.8

Peter
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by CMH March 31, 2008 11:53AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

my heart did a little thump. wow. that first one is breathtaking.
memorable. haunting in a way... i just can't say enough.
cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by TG-J (Admin) April 01, 2008 12:07AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Had to look again, how do we tell everyone to check this one out. Tony.
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by jbrunjes April 01, 2008 01:46PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Thank you all for the kind words.
Darrell, nice shot with the horse in the slinky. At least that slinky is tasteful. Though not a LB shot, here is a picture of a horse at our barn with a hideous slinky. UGG! (please disregard the awful background... I felt the shot was for humor only)
It can be difficult to get a good LB portrait due to the small sweet spot and long noses of our equine friends.
PKK... I really like action shots of horses with the LB. You can see a few on my profile page. I was just at a show in NC but didn't have time for LB shots :(
Cindy, Wow.. thanks!

Sincerely,
Joby Brunjes
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Darrell Marquette April 01, 2008 03:09PM reply | quote

Joby, I don't think that slinky in your picture is so bad. Its actually pretty cool. I found this fun shot in my files.
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by jbrunjes April 03, 2008 06:18PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Wow... Darrell, this picture inspires many questions. (most towards the wellbeing of the young lady.) I am sure she is ok but what a great "moment in time" shot.
Joby
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Darrell Marquette April 04, 2008 12:15AM reply | quote

Don't worry, the girl was ok. She was just pretending that the horse was pulling her hair. Her mother was out of the frame to the right watching.
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by MattW April 05, 2008 01:54AM reply | quote
posted by MattW

Great shot Joseph, beautifully lit.

Matthew
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by rjcolby April 06, 2008 07:06AM reply | quote
posted by rjcolby

Darrell, You have two winners here. Very artistic low key, and funny hair eater...

Dick
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by craig16229 April 06, 2008 07:23AM reply | quote
posted by craig16229

Wow. Stunning.

Craig

[www.craigwasselphotoart.com]

"The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking . . . ."

~ Brooks Atkinson ~
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Va girl April 09, 2008 10:25AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

Joseph... I really like your dark portrait.... to me, it has just enough to define the horse and tack..... less is quite enough in this image....well done!

Pam
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by jbrunjes April 09, 2008 01:13PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Matt, Craig and Pam,
Thank you for the kind words. This picture lives only in this form. If I blow it up much past 5x7 then you see a lot of noise. I had to shoot it with a high ISO because the horse would not stand still for a long exposure.
I posted a few more horse portraits under Heir to Nobility. These are not as classy but humorous.
-Joby Brunjes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 01:14PM by jbrunjes.
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Halima67 April 10, 2008 02:01AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

Awesome Joseph! Who needs 2 c all the horse?
Hélène

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by jbrunjes April 10, 2008 02:11PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

This is the same picture with a slightly lighter exposure for comparison.
Joby Brunjes
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Va girl April 11, 2008 07:56AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

I really like this image! I can see this painted in oil....so dark and rich in color.... thanks so much for sharing this version too.

Pam
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by rjcolby April 11, 2008 10:25AM reply | quote
posted by rjcolby

It is a bit like the old Black Velvet paintings, as well as similar to dark color backgrounds of some of the old masters. In other words, not bad at all.

Dick
Re: Not your typical horse portrait posted by Halima67 April 11, 2008 12:51PM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

mmmm, hard 2 pick which 1...I guess it's a matter of taste. Both r very good, looks like paintings.

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today